Just got back from the driving range and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A round of golf is about five miles of walking. On a hilly course, it is excercise. If I play somebody who is good, and there is wagering, I wind up pooped.

Underwater20golf.jpg

Stu S.:
A round of golf is about five miles of walking. On a hilly course, it is excercise. If I play somebody who is good, and there is wagering, I wind up pooped.[/QUOTE

When I was learning to play (not that I've "learned", I still stink, but anyway), I'd sometimes combine a morning jog with 18 holes at my local raggedy cheap 6000-yard muni, perfect for beginners. Get there first in my Nikes, grab 6 clubs (3-wood, 3 irons, wedge, putter) and jog-hit, jog-hit. Got to know all the groundskeepers as i played through them, paid the greens fee ($7) as I made the turn. Maybe not much good for my "game", but idiotic, fun, and decent exercise. Took about 95 minutes, for "really bad speed golf".

Doesn't really work with diving. Prevailing advice seems to be don't exercise between or right after your dives, and maybe even before, as it might affect offgassing. I still like to go for a swim between dives, though.

Now the course has been renovated, it's excellent, and quadruple the price to walk..

The only reason I was thinking about this is because SCUBA seems so complicated, and golf seems so deceptively simple. All you need to do is hit the ball with the stick. ***?? :confused:

My spouse was upset with me when I picked up golf because it can be an expensive sport. But I got her into it, and she became just as addicted as me, and couldn't complain anymore.

Then, we get into scuba, and it's even more expensive. But once again, she can't complain since she also loves it.

Moral of the story - both are addictive and expensive, but it's easier to be an addict when someone is willing to go along and enable you.

Back
Top Bottom