Just getting into UW photography...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUY THE CAMERA!! You're SCUBA diving, not performing brain surgery. (Sorry, but I forget that some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. You're not one of those are you?) Just focus on your boyancy before you focus on your camera!!!

Come to think of it, I can walk and chew gum at the same time!! I have been told by DM's that I have very good boyancy control. Taking pictures would take a back seat to the safety of the dive. I have dove with some people that have logged hundreds of dives and I have wondered to myself, "how did they get their certification?" They could not "just" dive, let alone use a camera while doing it. But that is another topic. Thanks for your input.

Reecard

My practice is to keep my reg in my mouth until I am fully back on the boat (aside from the OOA experience above) and I have learned to approach the boat with both hands on the camera, holding it up to the crewman, not turning it lose until he has it, ready to chase it if he drops it - but they don't. Then, move onto the rest of safe exiting - except I keep one eye on my bud at all times as real buds enter, dive, and leave together, period!
The few times I have dove with a camera, this is the exact thing that I do. I just figured it was common sense, but it is nice to know that maybe I was doing the correct method.

Oh, you might look into a scuba photo class, preferably on a dive trip - and you can still use your Canon. Either way, good luck... :eyebrow:

I have thought of this, but there are not that many classes offered around here. Do they offer photo classes on dive trips? I just figured most dive shops were all about getting people in and out of the water, that they would not spend the time to conduct a class. But, I will look into it.

Taking pictures would take a back seat to the safety of the dive.
A good attitude to keep in mind. :thumb:
The few times I have dove with a camera, this is the exact thing that I do. I just figured it was common sense, but it is nice to know that maybe I was doing the correct method.
Nah, it's just a combination of basic safety and logical (not common actually altho that term is oft used) sense. Glad we're on that same page. :eyebrow:

I have been surprised at how many experienced divers disagree with me on keeping the reg in my mouth until fully boarded, even some boat crewmen chuckling, but I've also been surprised at how many divers I've read about drowning after surfacing, spitting reg, getting hit with a wave, choking, panicking, etc. For small boats where I am likely to remove my kit in the water, I have a folded snorkel with velcro attachment that I switch to - and I do that first before approaching the camera hand-off, followed by my pony hand-off,* then my kit hand-off, then my fins hand-off, and finally me on the ladder.

* I've mentioned that you can learn more from my screw-ups. I generally carry a pony on dives, but had arrived late the night before and was unable to get it filled before diving - as Murphy would have it, the same morning of my stupid Cesa. :silly: One might think I'd have been more careful without my usual safety bottle huh? I'm still learning about mortality, trying to do so without the ultimate lesson.
I have thought of this, but there are not that many classes offered around here. Do they offer photo classes on dive trips? I just figured most dive shops were all about getting people in and out of the water, that they would not spend the time to conduct a class. But, I will look into it.
No, not many really, so scratch that idea.

Get the camera if you'd like, insure it, get involved with studying your manual & camera, carry your old one as a backup, have fun and dive safely. :cool2:

Thanks again, all your wisdom has helped greatly.
Haha if I can help you skip some of the rough learning opportunities, great. Have fun....!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom