Just getting into UW photography...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reecard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just starting to get into underwater photography. I have a Canon SD1000 with an underwater housing. But as you can probably imagine the pictures don't come out very good. Don't get me wrong they are fine to "wet" my whistle in the underwater world. I am thinking of purchasing the SeaLife DC1200 elite kit. Would this be a good step up for me? Any feedback would be very appreciated.

Reecard

Well, newbies with cameras so often incur so much multitask overload that I am not one to encourage such for safety mostly, and because they usually lose their first camera. Please tighten the wrist strap before rolling/striding in - rather than have the crew hand it to you, as even on a stride you should be able to enter with a filled BC and camera held high to avoid leaks on entry - then concentrate on safe diving, close buddy protocols, safety drills, with the camera the last of your priorities. Just let it float from your wrist until you are really comfortable with the opportunities to shoot.

Now, I guess you already have a significant sum invested in the housing, unless you got a great deal somewhere. If it was used, replace the O-ring. Before you spend a lot more on a dedicated diving photography kit that would tempt you to focus on it too much, why not take your time with this setup, learn about shooting and computer editing, and see how your diving, shooting, and editing progress. What photo editing program do you use? I like Irfanview free program for pulling dark shots out well and there is a lot to be learned there in fine editing.

Good that your current kit is a floater and not black. So often newbies lose their cameras on the surface at boat handoff but it should be easy to spot - altho some red tubing or tape on the strap would help.

Canon makes great cameras, so if you already have one with a housing that you are used to the settings with, why not look for a strobe setup for that camera rather than buying a whole new kit? I currently have a Canon S90 without any strobes and the quality is pretty good, but I am also keeping my eyes open for a strobe setup (especially a used one on this board).

I agree with DandyDon about editing photos though- alot can be done to correct them digitally. I use Adobe Lightroom. It's professional quality but for exposure, color, etc adjustments, even a child could do it- all the adjustments are done with sliding bars that change the appearance of the photo as you move it.

I've never thought about holding the camera above my head to enter- have many people had a problem with the impact forcing water in? I keep mine attached to a lanyard on my chest with the wrist loop around my wrist so I just hold it tight to my body as I enter. No problems yet, but I guess it's something to think about.

Well even tho he may have a hundred or two in the housing, depending on brand and source, I'd suggest on holding off on adding a strobe. If he still wants the DC1200 & external flash after a hundred dives, then decide on going all Sealife or adapting a strobe to the Canon. I don't leave my house without my 10 mp Canon on my belt, as I am not good but I like to shoot whenever anything catches my eye - and on dive trips, I like having my land camera separate from my dive camera, even on boats. I don't use my DC1200 as a land camera as there is just too much risk.
I need to start declaring my cameras when I enter Mexico or anywhere else. First one is free but I travel with 2 or 3 and if they ever catch me entering or exiting without declaring, it could get expensive.​
I know how long it can take to get a hundred dives worth of learning when we live more than an hour from the boat docks, for me it's two planes minimum, but for both of you - resisting expanding your photo kits for a while. Then if either of you do get a Sealife with external flash, your Canon & housing will still be nice as backup cameras on trips.
caca-1.png
Crap happens.
I keep mine attached to a lanyard on my chest with the wrist loop around my wrist so I just hold it tight to my body as I enter.
I'm not sure how that works, but hope you have plenty of mobility with that hand to fix problems. So many accidents happen on the surface, including some of my screw-ups.

It's best to avoid sudden pressure changes on the housing but on backrolls or strides, I just hold it as high as possible with air in my BC so it will not go deeper before I bounce back up. For a 10 ft drop from a big boat or 30 ft drop into The Pit at Dos Ojos, yeah - I went in first, then let others dangle my camera to me on a line. I have never lost one but I like the orange float strap on mine still.

Yeah, I have plenty of mobility- I described it a little poorly. I have it attached to a retractable lanyard and then clipped close to my chest while I'm entering (though I'll probably hold it above my head from now on). Once I'm in the water, I unclip it from my chest and put the wrist strap around my arm (up to my elbow and completely out of my way as though I don't even have it when I'm not using it). I would like strobes eventually, but it's nice having such a compact setup that stays out of my way when I'm not taking pictures.

Camera handling varies by boat, especially between larger and smaller vessels. Even small boat crews sometimes mention that they will hand your camera to you after splashing as they have learned that many divers like that and they try to please. Small boats move so much tho, divers bob, etc. that divers can miss the hand offs and/or get hit by the boat. Safer to just take it with you when you enter really, and the drop from a small boat is so little.

Thanks for all the advise DandyDon. It is going to be hard to refrain from purchasing the SeaLife, but I understand where you are coming from. I also understand being new to diving and the risks that come with that. I am quite a shutterbug on land so it is going to be difficult going into that world and not taking the awesome memories of an incredible dive home with me. My wife doesn't dive and it would be great if I could share what I am seeing with her. My current camera just doesn't capture the colors like a SeaLife set up would. But I will take your advise and hold off on the purchase, thanks for all the advise.

Reecard

Well, I try to be helpful, and you are very welcome - but your call on making the best of whatever. One can learn a lot from my screw-ups at times. I am bad about following my camera too much, and had over 400 dives the last time I screwed up badly - in part paying too much attention to my camera. I'd never done a real, emergency CESA, much less from 50 ft, and it was scary - but I swam out of it unscathed. A newbie might not fare so well under that pressure.

I have read of many newbies losing their new cameras and it seems that most are on boat hand-offs. My practice is to keep my reg in my mouth until I am fully back on the boat (aside from the OOA experience above) and I have learned to approach the boat with both hands on the camera, holding it up to the crewman, not turning it lose until he has it, ready to chase it if he drops it - but they don't. Then, move onto the rest of safe exiting - except I keep one eye on my bud at all times as real buds enter, dive, and leave together, period!

See if State Farm has offices locally? The agent may not know about Personal Insurance for Computers, Jewelry & More - State Farm but they carry it. Super coverage, low cost, wonderful - unless you have several claims like I did on other things, then they drop you. While I had it tho, great! If not, see about listing it on your home insurance?

Now I understand about sharing pics. I can find great photos online, but I like to show what I saw. You didn't answer about photo editing so I guess you haven't tried. PM me your email addy and I will send you a request for several pics. Let me show you what I can do in seconds. I have overflashed so many nice shots I have been tempted to stop using the strobe and just fix in edit, but I'm still trying to learn in my fumbling way. Hehe, my home bud shot some pics on one dive with his flash covered by the strobe link, but strobe off - just black on screen, but I said: "Let's try this..." Came out pretty actually. Wish I had saved before and after.

Oh, you might look into a scuba photo class, preferably on a dive trip - and you can still use your Canon. Either way, good luck... :eyebrow:

BUY THE CAMERA!! You're SCUBA diving, not performing brain surgery. (Sorry, but I forget that some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. You're not one of those are you?) Just focus on your boyancy before you focus on your camera!!!

BUY THE CAMERA!! You're SCUBA diving, not performing brain surgery. (Sorry, but I forget that some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. You're not one of those are you?) Just focus on your boyancy before you focus on your camera!!!
Also a valid approach used by many. It's your money, your diving, you call. :geek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom