Just getting certified and wondering about what fins to purchase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I reside in North Texas, so the water as you probably know is warm throughout most of the year. Even in the winter the LDS said that I would only use a 5mm or 7mm suit at most. Also, the Gulf is not to far away but it also stays warm enough to still dive 5mm to 7mm I have been told.

So I have been reading extensively about what types of fins to purchase, and have come to the conclusion that it is a lot about personal preference (comfort) and what type of diving you will be doing.

I was looking at some paddle, blade, and splits. The fins I have been looking at are the Mares Superchannel, Hollis F1, Atomics, and Apollo Bio. However, on the Hollis F1 I have only read these being used in dry suit diving and not really warm water diving. Would the foot pockets be to large for just a 3mm boot? Boot size 9m

Any opinions about these fins or any other fins that are comportable to these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi stanner,

Since, you have stated that you are not yet certified I would strongly recommend that you go and get certified asap and get more info from your instructors too.

Personally I'm a US 9.5 and wear a 5mm bootie, so unless your foot is drastically different these fins would fit fine.

1. Mares Avanti Quattro size regular (the standard against a lot of fins are based on but you need to have strong legs to make full use of em)
2. Scubapro jets size L (another classic standard and one few have beaten)
3. Apollo bio fins (the best split fins out there)
4. Hollis F1 (a cooler scubapro jet copy but just as heavy and very similar)

Your best bet is a well maintained 2nd hand jet, quarttro or apollo if you want something that can really last and is affordable.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input SangP I will check these out.

It is my strong bias, as a divemaster, that OW students should not be using split fins. My reasoning for this is that one of the big problems students often seem to have, is keeping that tank in the middle of their back, and not getting pulled over or turtling. Paddle fins, spread a little out to the side, serve as good horizontal stabilizers. Students using splits, on the other hand, have a harder time not rolling over, and resort to a larger amount of swimming with the hands. So I would recommend a good paddle fin.

To the list you have there, I would add two: The HOG fins, and the Dive Rite EXPs. The HOGs are like Jets -- rubber and heavy -- and the Dive Rites are plastic and lighter (better for light exposure protection). But both share a wonderful thing . . . they come with SPRING STRAPS! And if there is one thing I wish all OW students had, it's fins with springs. Watching people who are new to dive gear struggle with trying to put their fins on makes my heart ache :)

Whatever fins get spring straps particularly if you plan on any shore dives, they make things much simpler.

It is my strong bias, as a divemaster, that OW students should not be using split fins. My reasoning for this is that one of the big problems students often seem to have, is keeping that tank in the middle of their back, and not getting pulled over or turtling. Paddle fins, spread a little out to the side, serve as good horizontal stabilizers. Students using splits, on the other hand, have a harder time not rolling over, and resort to a larger amount of swimming with the hands. So I would recommend a good paddle fin.

To the list you have there, I would add two: The HOG fins, and the Dive Rite EXPs. The HOGs are like Jets -- rubber and heavy -- and the Dive Rites are plastic and lighter (better for light exposure protection). But both share a wonderful thing . . . they come with SPRING STRAPS! And if there is one thing I wish all OW students had, it's fins with springs. Watching people who are new to dive gear struggle with trying to put their fins on makes my heart ache :)

This! :wink:
You will be happy.

I agree with a lot of the points of TSandM, its better to learn properly using standard fins however, a lot of the reasons why I see new ow divers having issues balancing themselves is cus their bcs aren't properly adjusted and keep rolling all over the place, with a properly adjusted and weighted bcd be it a bp/w back inflate or whatever there's a lot less arm flailing lol!

Personally the most cost effective solution is to either get a good and well maintained 2nd hand jet n just get a pair or medium spring straps or oms slipstreams n get springs to go with those as well.

The jets/hollis/turtles etc have all been said to be very heavy and can pull your legs down... being feet heavy myself I appreciate the neutral weight of the slipstreams and quattros and Super-Channels.

Happy hunting.

Let me make it easy for you. No matter what other types of fins you purchase in the future, a pair of Scubapro Jets will serve you well as your go to fin for at least the next 30 years maybe more. The fins I love to hate and hate to love, the one and only, get them while you still can, Made in USA.

N

Your shop that you are getting certified through should have a good selection of fins. If you see some that you want to try then most of the LDS would not have a problem with you trying them at the pool or lake as long as you are purchasing from them. I have the Seawing Nova's and love them, but there are a lot of factors that could affect the right ones for you.

Back
Top Bottom