Just finished my PADI Open Water Diving Course. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I agree, go strait to drysuit, the cold here sucks the life from you. As for used gear, most everything but the mask! Some packages have everything near new, somebody had a close call and bailed on the sport, happened to an ole boss o mine... Karma :D

Here's something to think about as a new diver buying used gear... some of it is very used but some is not very used at all. Many people do their Open Water course, think they love diving and then go out and spend a couple of grand on gear. A couple of years later they find it in their garage and realise that it got used twice and will probably never be used again in the near future so sell it. This can make for a good deal for the buyer but getting a few dives in first to be sure you really want to invest in your own gear could be a good idea. If you have the spare cash then go for it, buy it outright but if not then take your time.

Why not a used mask? A mask is just a hunk o glass against your face to keep the water out. If it does that - it's good.

I have quite a few thrift shop and garage sale masks (plus the ones I collect on dives) that function very well and cost between $2 - $5 each. A new mask in a shop costs approx. $100. A snorkel used $2. In a shop $50. My fin collection comes in at about $5-$10/pair. New $150-$200. All do the same job.

Gear is gear. Assessing it's functionality goes beyond seeing it on a store shelf. If it's germs you are worried about - have you seen what we dive in? Currently the west coast is sea star soup and after coming out of the Titan missile silo I glowed for days.

10% bleach solution is your friend :)

But one last time I'll promote the club idea with an example:

Last night at our club meeting a new fellow showed up. Fresh out of OW with no gear, eager to dive. By the end of the meeting there were 3-4 offers to go diving and the lending of gear for such (except exposure protection because of fit). So, with that, and a $25 membership fee, this person can be in the water, with mentors, geared up, doing straightforward dives.
The downside is that you have to join a group, which a lot of people don't like to do. Some want to do what they want, when they want, how they want, with whom they want. Which is fine. Some also don't want to feel they are the "junior" or beholding to anyone for a kindness, but you pay a premium for that sort of aloof independence.
Many wind up paying "professionals" for every bit of instruction, buying expensive gear from salesmen that winds up not being very good and standing in small cliches at the dive site parking lot looking at other cliches out of the corner of the eye, critiquing all the things they do wrong to reassure themselves they are doing it right.

Last edited:
Eh I'm a leaker with masks.... I also avoid store prices by trying them in shops and ordering online.... Or at least checking prices as local shops can.... Yes. As for fins, damn rights, I just picked up a pair of force fins for forty bucks, I think I have a half dozen different pairs of fins now... Excited to try the force... Lol such a geek.

Which club do you belong to dale ?

Fraser Valley SCUBA club. The link is in my signature line. I also think there is a Coquiltlam club and in Van there are a couple I know of, one at UBC and the Pescaderos

You are among dozens and dozens of people who get certified each year only to find out that it will cost you $ 5000.00 at the up end to outfit yourself for scuba diving in our area.
As a seasoned diver who dives 8 times a month +,,I have heard that same statement from so many novices,,how much will it cost me to get into scuba so I don't have to rent gear.

There are many trains of thought on this, buy used and later you can buy new,,,
Buy some used and some new?
But across the line or buy here??
There is one thing you have to keep in mind when purchasing scuba gear,,,Warranty and repairs....
Many LDS's will not honor equipment warranties when you purchase it in the US, its important to realize that you live here and when something goes wrong with your gear, and it will, you will need to get it fixed in a timely fashion and be able to trust that repair.

There are many sundry items you can buy abroad cheaper for sure,,stuff that really wouldn't make a difference, ie. slates, whistles, reels, gloves, fins etc
BUT the equipment you should buy at home, drysuit, reg, computer, BCD, and even tanks are far better off buying from your local LDS

Keep in mind its important to have your most crucial gear,,,looked after and serviced reliably by a LDS to save sending it all away for gawd knows how long to get it repaired and pay shipping and maybe even duty and taxes.

The best advise I can give you is BUY THE BEST GEAR YOU CAN AFFORD THE FIRST TIME around so your not buying used and then buying new and paying twice the amount for the gear than you would if you bought new right away
Line of Credit, Mom and Dad loan, Credit Card,,,however and whatever works for you...NEW gear is the BEST! and you will be much happier having the best you can afford right off the bat,,,so you become a part of it and it becomes a part of you!

SHOP AROUND,,,,barter here barter there, but keep in mind where you live and if you have to drive from Abbotsford to North Van,,,its going to suck to go and pick up your tanks filled after every dive

Hints
Buy a yearly fill card if your an avid diver
Get steel tanks
REG should be the best you can afford
Same with the Drysuit and accessories
BCD,,,everyone or almost everyone is diving with a wing and backplate assembly of somekind, they are the best!, don't buy a jacket and a year later buy a backplate, do it once!

SO there you have it my 2 cents worth....
and if you want to go out diving, look me up, send me a message I'd be happy to give you the royal tour!

99north

I'm thrilled that I'm certified now. I really like diving, and I would like to continue with it.
However, there is one obstacle: $$$$

I don't have my own gear, and advanced courses at my local dive shop is $299 for 5 courses + $59 for gear rental each time.

So I was wondering if you pros can help this newbie out with these questions:

a) What is the cheapest way to purchase an entire set of scuba gear, from the fins and masks to the BCD, regs, tanks etc? From what I hear, dive shops jack up their prices to astronomical amounts. It's better to get it online. Which sites are your guys's favourites? I can get stuff shipped to US no problem, so US sites are fine too, especially if they're cheaper!

b) Am I experienced enough to follow other pros on their open water dives, assuming they'll have me, or should I take more lessons?

Cheers!

I was a cheapskate when I started:
$100 used 7mm Henderson wetsuit
$20 used hood
$20 closeout boots
$10 closeout gloves
$350 used Cochran EMC20h computer
$100 Conshelf XIV set w/ analog console (+$125 to get it serviced)
$100 used Apollo Bio fins

The only thing I bought new was my BP+W setup. I spent $99 on the SS Backplate, $125 on a closeout 32 lb HOG singles wing, and $60 on a harness.

Oh, and a new mask.

$50 Deep See Clarity
$60, pair of -4.0 inserts

my two cents, I thought i would save money by owning SOME gear, and renting the rest. turns out you don't really save much until you own pretty much everything. HOWEVER, you don't need to spend money right away. Instead just go diving, learn to love it, and when you are committed... make the purchases. until then, rent, borrow, or buy on craigslist. (fins are easy, Masks need to fit properly, so just know how to check for fit when you are looking) 3 years ago I bought a drysuit for 200 bucks on CraigsList. zipper is toast, so now i get to buy a brand new one for... well.... I can't post in case my girlfriend sees....

and log a few dives before you opt for the cert upgrade. it's hard to build on skills when you can barely control yourself underwater. I did my Rescue Diver course with people who had done: OW, AOW, then Rescue without ANY diving in between. I just think it's silly to take on so much information with no foundation skills solidified. how much will you really learn?

Last but not least, Don't be ashamed of your Newbie status. everyone starts somewhere, and as more experienced divers, we can all relate to the excitement of finding cool new creatures, learning new things, and everyone I have ever dived with has been accommodating to my 'lesser kill'. by diving with better divers, I have watched and learned. observation is free training.

(if you don't have any friends who dive, sign up for Fun Dives with your LDS, or like DaleC says, find a club. I've made a bunch of friends through my LDS fun dives, and I dive with them regularly now)

Back
Top Bottom