Just Certified!! Couple of Questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zana

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

I was just certified this weekend! Open Water. The 1st 2 dives in the springs were no problem really enjoyed myself (a little cold but great dives) neutral buoyancy seems natural and I dont even know why but absolutely no problems in that department.

Sunday we went out into the Gulf and I "freaked". I almost drowned as a small child and since then I have always stayed on the top of the water when swiming. This was my "FEAR FACTOR" I needed to overcome my fear, this was a personal decision. BUT anyhow I couldn't go my 1st dive I don't guess it helped not inflating my BC and jumpin off a 5ft drop off the boat. The water was rough and choppy with some current. But the 2nd dive I did fine...thank goodness. I really got mad at myself for not being able to dive the 1st time but I was OK and I didn't drowned....I guess it would really hard to drowned with my BC on.

Anyhow, I want to dive again before I go to Roatan. Just so I know I can do it all by myself without fear! What is the best way to go on a trip? To sign up with the boat and rent a couple tanks or go with a dive shop?

Thanks
Zana

I am going to have to make an assumption on your question. I think you were asking to go on your own and find a boat where you are going....versus....going with an lds planned trip from your location......?????

I have always just gone to locations and hooked up with a shop there that runs a boat and dived. The biggest disadvantage there is I have no "known"" buddy and dive with whomever is willing on the boat.

The advantage to going with an lds for you will be people you know are there. That may give you more confidence.

One thing dont forget....the boats i have dived always wanted to see my advanced card if the depth exceeded 60 feet. So make sure before you buy the expensive plane tickets and hotel reservations.....that if you are not aow cert. that whomever you dive with does dives appropriate to your level.....especially consideirng your FEAR FACTOR.

good luck....give us a trip report.......rich

I guess my ultimate question was locally where I live should I dive with a dive shop or rent a couple of air tanks and book with a local boat charter.

I dive with my husband so finding a buddy isn't going to be a problem:) .

I will definately give a trip report when I return in a couple of weeks. I am planning to get my cert for AOW while I am there...much cheaper.

My fear factor seems to only include jumping in the water and dealing with the waves above shore. Once I'm down about 10 or so feet its no problem. Kinda strange I guess But It reminded me of when I almost drowned as a child, maybe the taste of saltwater not really sure. Being below the water is fantastic!

Hi Zana,
I had the same near drowning problem as a kid too and that put me off the water for years but now after many dives I can't get enough of it so hang on in there, it's so worth it.

As regards what to do when you get to your destination I'd advise going with a local shop at least for the first dive or two. If you get a DM who knows the area well they'll show you the best places and the best parts of the best places which might otherwise take you a lot longer.

Have a great time

First, in your situation, I wouldnt dive with a group that wasnt made up of people familar. Theres a lot to be said for a group of "friends" diving with a new comer.........I know that I have a habit of "looking after" the new divers, just because.

If the 5ft leap worries you, just sit and slide.

Diving is well worth the effort to get over an experience like you had. Since you have a buddy that you know is gonna be there for you, the battle is won...........all you gotta do is DIVE, and thats the fun part

enjoy

tiny bubbles

I noticed you are from Guam! My instructor was from Guam and she was the Best! After listening to her diving experiences there made me want to visit. who knows hopefully one day I will.

Zana

Not from Guam, but stationed here with the Navy.......and she was right, being underwater here is great..........I dived the Bahamas and the Keys.........nothing compared to Guam

tiny bubbles

Welcome to the board and welcome to the sport! I've never been to Roatan, but I've been to a few other Carribean destinations. I've been on dives that went to 100' more than once and was never asked to see an AOW card. It kinda just depends on who the dive op is and what their policy is. It would be a good idea to do a little research about dive ops down there (Scubaboard is a good place to do that) and when you find a good one, email them and find out what their policies are and tell them you are recently certified.

I don't think you would have a problem using a dive op down there as opposed to going down with your LDS since you are going with a buddy that you know and trust, and you will have checked out the dive op in advance (by asking about them here on the scubaboard).

Just be sure to tell the DM on the boat what your diving experience (or lack of experience) is, and any worries or concerns that you might have. That way the DM will know to keep a closer eye on you underwater. Also I would recommend that you and your dive buddy stay fairly close to the DM throughout the dive so should anything go wrong, he will be right there to assist you.

If you use a dive op down there and go on a guided boat dive, you will not have to rent a tank because they will provide you with the tanks and weights (included in the cost of the dive). That is usually how dive ops work it.

I believe there is good shore diving in Roatan, so if you decide to do some shore dives, then you will rent tanks at the shop if it's not already included in the cost of your hotel. Sometimes hotel packages include unlimited shore diving. You just walk up to the shop and grab a full tank and bring it back empty. I believe some of the dive ops in Roatan even leave full tanks outside the dive shop so if you decide to do a midnight dive (after the shop is closed for the day), you can still just walk up, grab a full tank and bring it back empty and set it out front (or where ever the empty tanks go). I know dive shops in Bonaire do this, and I think they do it in Roatan as well, but you might want to double check me on this.

One other thing, diving in warm blue water with 100' plus vis, is alot less stressful than diving in cold water with poor vis. I think you'll find that unless you are totally freaked out about water, blue water diving is alot less likely to freak you out once you get down and see all that amazing sealife. Just be sure to listen closely to the DM's pre-dive breifing and tell them of your inexperience.

If you have any more questions, you might PM Dee here on the Scubaboard. She has been to Roatan several times and she could probably tell you anything you need to know about the place.

You are gonna have so much fun! I'm jealous!

WOW!!! Went diving this weekend and it was great! I didn't "freak". I even lost my tank 4 times and was underweighted and still kept my cool. I think now I'm ready to go to Roatan next weekend!

Congratulations!

The first time I went on my ocean certification dives, I freaked out too. It was in Monterey, CA, and the water was cold (55 degrees F), the visibility was poor (12 feet), and it was too early for me to be up, let alone underwater. I was NOT a happy camper.

For about 5 minutes. Then I was fine.

If you ever feel that sensation again, just take a time out. Stop. Breathe. Think. Act.

Keep in mind that ANYONE can freak out underwater, even experienced divers. It's all about diving within your limits. It looks like your limits are expanding, just as you hoped they would. Have fun in Roatan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom