Just bought a semi dry looking for advice on weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all-
previously dove with 35lbs/16kg in the integrated pockets (fully packed) .

That is a lot of weight. I dive a brand new 7mm D6 wetsuit with 5mm boots, gloves, & hood with an AL 80 and AL BP/W and only wear 16 lbs, that is in fresh water so a bit more for salt water would be required.

I recently switched to a steel HP 100 and was able to drop 8+ lbs off the weight and pick up some additional air supply. Worth considering.

OP, I recommend you use the @rsingler spreadsheet to help you out. I've found it to be extremely accurate in estimating my weight requirements when using different wet-suits.

OP, I recommend you use the @rsingler spreadsheet to help you out. I've found it to be extremely accurate in estimating my weight requirements when using different wet-suits.

Here is the link Optimal Buoyancy Computer

I concur 35lbs sounds like too much weight (I'm a Southern California diver either on 7/8 semi or full drysuit and don't dive that much weight). If you are diving aluminum tanks, I'd recommend converting over to Steel tanks since their end of dive buoyancy is usually either still negative or less positive than an AL 80 that is some weight you can remove. Perhaps consider a stainless steel backplate (it doesn't change the total amount of weight you carry but moves it from a weight belt/pockets to on your back and over your lungs).

Hi all-
Henderson Thermoprene Hooded semi-dry suit 7/8mm. It was great as I was even able to try it in their dive pool, yet the one thing I noticed is that I was fully floating with just the suit on, I can’t say that ever happened with my wetsuits, but honestly I never went in the water with just suits on. So here is my question , previously dove with 35lbs/16kg in the integrated pockets (fully packed) and assume I will need more weight now. Can anyone give me an idea of how much additional weight I may need? And how I should lid it? My BC has weight pockets on the tank strap. I honestly hate the idea of wearing a weight belt if possible.

Technically, you only need enough lead to ensure that your body is neutrally buoyant when your tank is nearly empty.

Almost all humans (regardless of weight) are neutrally buoyant in their birthday suits, which means that you are about 5 lbs negative when fully exhaled and 5 pounds positive when fully inhaled. Therefore, no lead is required based on your body weight.

Lead must only be added to counter any items you bring with you that are positively buoyant. For example: neoprene, excess air trapped in your wing/BCD, a drysuit, empty aluminum tank, etc. An empty aluminum tank adds about 5 lbs, a wetsuit varies greatly but is usually about 15 lbs, a wing/backplate should be close to zero when empty, and a drysuit adds the most.

If you exchange your aluminum tank for a steel tank, you don't need to carry as much lead.

The reason why recommended lead is often estimated as a percentage of body weight is only because a higher body weight person is likely to have more surface area and therefore be carrying more neoprene.

35 lbs for a regular wetsuit in your current configuration sounds excessive. It's unlikely that you actually have that much lead. For the past couple years, I've been diving with a 7mm semidry and haven't needed more than 15 lbs of lead using a steel tank. All my lead is attached to my backplate in the form of pockets.

for me... 175 lbs 5'9"
hollis neotek, carbon plate = 16 lbs @ 400psi in an aluminum 80.

added a 7mm step in hooded vest, and I needed 22lbs.
this was tonight, in fresh water.

In my Hollis neotek, freedom back plate, steel 63 tank, and mares Quattro fins, I need 4 kg (about 9 pounds) in salt water. I can never just straight up sink in this suit; I have to kick down the first 3 meters or so. By 15 meters or so I’m sinking like a rock. Perfectly neutral at my safety stop at the end of the dive.

in general, I never seen to require much weight. Also these tanks are super fat, I’m not sure how negative they are compared to al80’s but it seems to be significant.

I require 14 pounds in my Neotek, Zeagle Ranger BC, HP80 tank in fresh water. I weigh 150 pounds with minimal fat.

Back
Top Bottom