Just began OW with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have my second class tonight - should be mostly pool I think.

@CamG, we might have to take you up on that one of these days. We're scheduled to be on vacation in the USVI this summer so we're hoping to have our basic skill set (and certification) done by then. I think our certification dives are going to be held at White Star in Gibsonburg. I'm a little east of the quarries, just south of Cedar Point.

-Mark

Got to echo the sentiment of Buoyancy, Trim and proper weighting. A minor one is other propulsion techniques besides the flutter kick.

There seems to be an overwhelming consensus for the importance of buoyancy skills. I sure won't buck that trend. The faster you learn decent buoyancy and trim, the happier you will be as a diver.

Hi Mark,

First welcome to Scubaboard. In my open water class, and even Advanced Open Water, it would have been nice if I were taught more about weighting and trim. There is a difference between buoyancy and trim but it wasn't explained to me and I'll let that explanation for those who may have more time for SB in the next day or so.

Anytime you'd like to get in the water, let me know.

Hi All,

I'm new to scuba (just started OW) and am also new to the board. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts to help me know what my wife and I are getting ourselves into.

I have a question for the experienced divers:

What are some skills you wished you would have practiced more in OW? What questions do you wish you would have asked your instructor during OW? What techniques do you wish your OW instructor would have spent more one on one time teaching you? Which skills are essential to beginner's recreational diving that aren't adequately covered in OW?

I thought perhaps if I knew what questions to ask I'd have a better OW experience.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Hi Mark,
First welcome to Scubaboard. In my open water class, and even Advanced Open Water, it would have been nice if I were taught more about weighting and trim. There is a difference between buoyancy and trim but it wasn't explained to me and I'll let that explanation for those who may have more time for SB in the next day or so.

Buoyancy refers to your ability to control depth effortlessly. You should have a balance between the forces pulling you down (like your weights and your bones) and the forces pulling you up (like your body fat, wet suit, and air in your BCD) such that you can do all the fine tuning by controlling the amount of air in your lungs. You can do this in a totally vertical, even standing, body posture.

Trim refers to your ability to move through the water effficently in a horizontal body position that minimizes drag and allows you to propel yourself forward with a minimum of kicking effort. This is partially achieved through the way weighting is distributed on your body. If you have a large chunk of weight on a weight belt on your hips balanced by a large volume of air in your BCD, you will naturally go feet down, like an unbalanced see-saw.

I agree that of all of the skills training elements, additional neutral buoyancy work is what benefits divers the most in general terms.

Add me to the buoyancy, trim, and proper weighting trifecta. I did my open waters in a private session off Maui with Bill Hannan, a legendary Hawaiian course director and instructor. He was very thorough and took time in each of thee areas. I have no complaints there, but the fact is there can never be too much information, instruction and practice in these areas.
DivemasterDennis

I would say Cesa. My course went heavy on skills you use most but a bit light on things you need when tshtf.

I'll echo a lot of the stuff people have mentioned. Something I found _very_ productive was simply getting in the pool with my gear and playing around with it. This is something it is hard to do during organized dives. Mask clearing is a biggie, plus managing your BCD, figuring out the best fit and arrangement and etc. One thing I was embarrassed to discover after a half-dozen dives was that I was still pretty unclear on how to properly set up my tank, BCD and reg set [dive boat crews had done the job for me previously...a perq of diving on tourist boats].

I agree with buoyancy especially if you are diving dry!!! It has taken me 10 dives plus pool to really dial in my drysuit buoyancy. It's a lot harder than it looks and I'll admit I didn't believe it at first. Another really important skill is navigation especially if you dive in low or no viz sites or night dive! Be consistent with your diving in regards to kicking, speed, breathing and control. The more in control you are the better off you are and it goes way beyond just buoyancy.

Keep practicing your skills too even after certification to start sharp. You really should be training all the time and need to always be prepared. Just a few days ago some friends of mine dove a regular site but it was 2 degrees Celsius and even with cold water kits their regs froze and free flowed at considerable depth. The free flow breathing skill is one that is very small in the OW class yet very important. If you don't practice it from time to time and this type of thing happens to you how are you going to react? Always stay sharp. I plan on hitting the pool as much as possible just to "train" and always keep current! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom