Just back from Sharm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
It was hot, hot hot!!!

I haven't had time to put much of a trip report together yet, in fact I haven't even unpacked yet :11:

I have managed to upload the best of my pics, and if you take a look you'll get a pretty good impression of what the trip was like!!

Sharm Pics

I know that the weather in Sharm is very :sunny. But the pictures are amazing and I can't wait for details.

oooohhhh you have made me sooo wish that I could book a last minute flight right now!
I was torturing myself looking at holidays over there earlier, however know that a week just wouldn't be enough and good old work has got me busy up until 2005 :(
Your pictures look fantastic Chippy, looking forward to hearing the tale too.

Me and Scubababy got back three weeks ago from the Brother's safari and we had 20 minutes with a whale shark, half hour with a hammerhead and poor old Abby had 6 days of seasickness. Gotta love her though for doing it!!!

Chippy,
I've lived in Egypt for 8 1/2 years and have done hundreds of dives from Sharm and have never been in the water with a whale shark there. I've seen two from the boat but never in the water. I've seen only two hammerheads in all those dives. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. Next time you're in the mood to come and dive in Egypt, consider going out of Marsa Alam in the deep south. The marine life is even more spectacular and dive boats are few and far between. You'd need to do a minimum 5 day live aboard but the prices in Egypt for liveaboards are still very reasonable.
There's also some fantastic shore diving from Dahab, up the coast of the Gulf of Aqaba about 100 km from Sharm. Prices for lodging and food in Dahab are half, maybe even a third of what they are in Sharm. Dahab is kind of Bohemian and not nearly as polished (new) as Sharm but it has its own charm and ambiance.
I'm trying to locate a cave instructor in Egypt but am not having much luck yet. My house is in north Florida on Merrit's Millpond which has several diveable caves, a couple of them are spectacular.
Well, good luck on your diving.
Rgds,
n2thebluec

BTW Chippy hope u r ok by now and if so where is the promised trim report?????
I'm going there for the New Year...
Cheers
Mania

mania:
BTW Chippy hope u r ok by now and if so where is the promised trim report?????
I'm going there for the New Year...
Cheers
Mania

Ah yes, much better thanks.......I have to admit that I've still got the trip report to do, which is on the long list of other things I'm supposed to be doing :wink:

n2thebluec - watch those caves!! I'm just reading a book at the moment called "The Last Dive", about the Father and Son, Chris and Chrissy Rouse - a couple of american cave divers....don;t think I'd be able to handle caves myself!!

n2thebluec:
I'm trying to locate a cave instructor in Egypt but am not having much luck yet.
Try planet divers - they are located in Dahab and Sharm although the dahab centre is the best one. They are the few that have technical dives and cave courses (IANTD ones).

Chippy - Ok I'll be waiting. The most important thing is that you are feeling good.
Cheers
Mania

I want to do a liveaboard in Egypt in the last week of March 2005... Is it too soon to visit Brothers Islands? I did a liveaboard this August (north route of Sharm) and had great divings! I wouldn´t mind go back there in March but I really want dive in Brothers ...

I know that in this period there is strong winds over there but on www.scuba-diving-safaris.co.uk, they offer liveaboards for that area during all year. Anyone been there in this period?

Thanks

chippy:
I'm just reading a book at the moment called "The Last Dive", about the Father and Son, Chris and Chrissy Rouse - a couple of american cave divers....don;t think I'd be able to handle caves myself!!

I loved that book - I couldn't put it down once I started it & like you I have no desire whatsoever to go cave diving (I'm bad enough when it comes to wrecks)

Back
Top Bottom