Just arrived in Maui 11/16/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaratt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in from NY and was hoping to gather some insight. My wife and I just arrived and are staying in Ka'anapali. I am a diver and my wife is not, but this morning she said that she would be ok with "trying it" to see if it was something we could do when on vacation. I typically dive the wrecks of NY, NJ coast - dark and cold which she would never go for.

So a few qustions:

1 - what is the best shop to use to get her to have a great first experience? Not looking for certification, just looking for a resort type course.

2 - My wife wants so see sea turtles - are there any good snorkle spots in the Ka'anapali area. I know of black rock which is just south of us, and i do remember reading about the reef just off the Ka'anapali beach club, which is where we are staying.

Thanks in advance for any / all advise.

Go down stairs and talk to the Tiny Bubbles SCUBA guys by the pool at the Ka'anapali Beach Resort. They do a great job of providing the resort course there of the beach. Yes there are turtles right off the beach from the Ka'anapali Beach Resort. You can snorkel out and see them as well. Most of the reef is less than 25' to 30' of water.

Let us know what the weather and water temp are like. I will be over on Sunday, and I plan to dive like a fish.

I have had really good experience with the Mike Severns dive charter out of the Kihei landing, if you are looking for a trip to Molokini or any of the other deeper locations. This trip I may try out B&B SCUBA. Also there is a Maui Scuba Shop up the road in Napili that can rent tanks and stuff to you if you plan to shore dive.

I'd really recommend you check out Lahaina Divers, they do a fantastic job with beginners and training.

The folks at Tiny Bubbles will take you out on their house reef. It's not the greatest dive but there seem to be a fair amount of fish there so it's not bad.

Black Rock is a nice dive or snorkel location - there are some turtles that live in that area.

For discover scuba from a boat you may want to check with Extended Horizons - SCUBA DIVE ON MAUI Lanai with EXTENDED HORIZONS TOURS Extended Horizens Maui Dive Shop in Lahaina - they do an afternoon trip for both certified and uncertified divers so you could both have a good time. I've had great experience with them on several occasions.

We are owners at Kaanapali Beach Club - like the resort but not really happy with the management and maintenance fees though.

Happy diving.

Lahaina Divers for an inexperienced diver. They are really great with new divers and go to appropriate sites. They do an excellent job of supervising groups.

might want to consider taking wife on a few snorkel trips just off beach, just to get her feet wet. I am in Maui now myself and my wife does not dive nor want to, but loves to snorkel and we have gone to a couple of beaches already to snorkel. One that we really like and will go back to is Ulua Beach. We are going to another out of area which I believe is part of Makena beach area but not the landing which is suppose to have the turtles there. Will be going to this area I think on Friday.
I am from NJ myself and IF the wife decides she likes diving, you are now in some of the clearest waters. Going back to NJ/NY which i know has some good diving also, but she will be spoiled for this type of waters. Just remember you maybe making alot more trips.
If I can help further let me know. I am also going to try and get in some shore dives and at least one trip out to molokini island.
Heading back to mainland next Tuesday.
Rick

Rick, instead of Molokini I'd really recommend you consider jumping on a boat to Lanai instead (or also if you can get 2 boat charters in). The Cathedrals are just beautiful sites and worth your time.

divemaden thanks for the advice, just running out of time. ALso have been flying to other islands which further cut my time. Going out today with Shakka Doug on scooter dive.

Sounds like you're having a GREAT time!!! You'll continue to have a great time diving with Doug....and you'll simply have to plan a return trip in the future to do all the diving you couldn't get to this time. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom