Just another anemonefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like all 3 (original, Mike's, and Sydney's); they would look nice hung sequentially in a hallway, or 3 walls of a den or office (as you walk into the room). The b/w is nice, but the 4-5 minimalistic colors are great. You would have to adjust framing/matting to compensate for the change in perspective (horz-vert), but that is easily done.

BTW, in response to your other thread; only if the topic/picture provokes interest.

Like HB Diver I like all the different solution posted. Each of them has their own special effect.

Great post to learn how with different way to crop you just change the way and the effect of your original image.

Nice work all.

Azotomix:
Great post to learn how with different way to crop you just change the way and the effect of your original image.

No no no, don't think like that please. B&W yes, but cropping no. I am a huge believer in getting the shot correct in camera. 99% of my photo library is straight shot, no cropping.

The best thing to do is to bracket your composition while you are working a subject. That is one of the best thing about digital, the fact you have so many photos on a card and not limited to 36 shots. That way you can take 10-20 shots of the same subject from all sorts of angles, horiz/vert, distances etc. i call that bracketing the composition.
Sure, this doesn't hold true for that whale shark or dolphin or whatever that swims past. But, on a subject like anemone or something it is the best way to learn and create your photos. The very very last step of all to make an image is to use the crop button in PS, much better to use your fins as your cropping tool :wink:

Doing your best to try different approaches and multi shooting is also the very best way to learn your camera and UW photography and is by far the best way to improve your photographic skills

Then again i have used up far too much disk space with the same subject in different composition :11:
Mike

LOL...yes, getting the exact frame you want in situ is everyone's first choice when capturing an image, but the crop tool isn't evil.

Some creatures are too shy or skittish, some are once in a blue moon poses and some otherwise lovely shots simply look fabulous cropped. Cropping can change the whole feel of a shot - even if it's an excellent shot in the first place.

Cropping, like any other tool at our disposal, should be used to create the story that you want to portray & shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. It's not new - film and slide shooters simply enlarged/selected the area of the frame they wanted to output.

Good diving skills, good photography skills and good conception skills are mandatory...but thinking beyond what you thought while underwater can only improve your photography, too. And finding new ways to reach an audience or to express yourself is part of the fun and challenge.

JMHTC

Mike I don’t think neither that cropping is THE solution to make nicer or change, like Alcina said, the feel of a shot. We all aim to reach a point where we shoot and we don’t have to do anything to make it look beautiful. :gr1:
We hope to get straight away correct composition, colours, exposure, brightness saturation…
But as so far this didn’t happen to me :ne_nau: I try to improve my pics by playing with what technology is giving me so the post processing is a must right now.

Of course if I have the time and I don’t have to run back to a group of diver I try to keep my time and like you say I “bracketing the composition”. Unfortunately this did not happen often. :sad:

My turn to play!!

Taking into consideration what the others said, less crop - more negative, I masked the fish and turned down the saturation of the anemone, makes him pop out a bit more.
( had to make him a bit smaller to upload - no longer as crisp :frown: )

This is another good job Lisa

Az and others...yes i must admit i do have the luxury of diving a lot and can shoot everyday. Therefore sometimes i forget how lucky i am not having to follow dive guide etc...

But, i still preach the less PS the better...i am still an old school guy at the old age of 33....:)

However, PS is an absolutely amazing tool and if you have the talent to use it then definitely do so (my PS skills absolutely suck..)

Sometimes i just like to go off on a purist rant, makes me feel better for my lack of darkroom and PS knowledge....
:)
M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom