Just another anemonefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Experimenting with different things on these guys - there are so many "nice" anemonefish shots out there! Shame this particular anemone is kinda dull colour-wise...

What do you all think?

peeknegative.jpg

Ah the skunk anemonefish. Never seen one of those guys.

I like the peek-a-boo approach. However, he/she kinda gets lost in the photo. There is a little too much negative space for my liking. Perhaps cropped to vertical leaving the fish on the bottom right and keeping the black on the upper left. The black leaves a nice contrast to the colour.
But i think you would be better off taking the photo again, (and i know you have the option to do so :) ) getting closer and shooting vertical as opposed to cropping. Just to keep the detail.

Hah! No "good shot" there eh? Am i getting better at this?

Mike

First, I'm hardly a knowledgeable photographer. But from a lay person's point of view:

Mike Veitch's point about negative space is a good one. But I actually like the shot/cropping (rule of thirds!) the way it is. I mean, the little guy is hiding, and it's hard at first to pick him out in the shot -- as it should be. Then your eye follows the dark diagonal down and to the right, and... there he is!

The subtle dusty-purple of the anemones is nice too, and a great contrast with the anemonefish.

Nice shot!

--Marek

Mike Veitch:
Well i just did something i wouldn't normally do....
but this is the way i would crop it.
Well, like I said... you do have a point! That looks nice too.

But we all agree, don't we, that there's no single right way to do things! :D :D

--Marek

Ok, I'm not Mike and I clearly don't have his credentials......but I'm a woman so I'm LOADED with opinions. I'd rather see MORE negative space. It would be more dramatic effect to see the little guy hanging out in the nook of the anemome, almost like he's a speck. Make it seem like he's all alone out there, just his anemome to keep him company. And there would be more of the undulating outline of the anemome. Take it from 1/3 negative to 2/3's and I'd be happy. :dance:

But I'd still put it on my wall just the way it is. :)

Thanks, Guys! Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for! Great ideas to try next time the conditions come together...

Thanks so much for the nice comments and the considerations you'd like to see tried - keep it coming on this one :)

Hmm maybe its just me, but I think cropped tight and long, black border and a nice frame would look great on a thin wall in the house

Back
Top Bottom