Just a thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAMIE MCG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my quest to remove as much lead off as possible, my question is that at my safety stop I tend to breath in and out deeply which at 15' I need to be about 2lbs heavier then if I just breath normal, my thinking on this is at the safety stop your off gassing isn't prudent to breath deeply? or drop the 2lbs and breath normal?

Correct weighting implies being neutral at the surface with an empty cylinder. I personally measure this at midpoint of tidal volume.

All the best, James

fdog:
Correct weighting implies being neutral at the surface with an empty cylinder. I personally measure this at midpoint of tidal volume.

All the best, James
What do you mean ,Tidal Volume?

Hey Jamie..
Check this thread about breathing rates and off-gassing.. Actually, it doesn't start out about that, but it gets to it eventually. In short, they say breathing rate can help, but not all that much..(From what I gathered in scanning it)
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=169732

JAMIE MCG:
The question is about off gassing.

It's just my opinion, but I would say that 1) since it's a rest stop, thus no exertion, 2) you are (relatively) close to the surface, and perhaps subject to uncontrollable surge which could lift you shallower quickly (perhaps increasing the risk of a lung expansion injury), and 3) deep breathing is (as I understand it) better for the complete exchange of CO2 and O2, and would do little in the 3mins of your safety stop to increase your release of N2. I would further put forth that deep, slow breathing throughout your dive is an effective way to lower your SAC.

So, IMO, breathe normally and relaxed at your SS. Try to slow your ascent from depth to your SS and perhaps pause for a minute or so at intermediate depths to facilitate the migration of the N2 absorbed.

Yeah I agree with Paul. Breathing deep is not really going to affect the reduction of N2 in your system. You are far better off breathing normally.

Sorry, I interpreted it as a weighting question. Tidal Volume is complete exhalation to complete inhalation.

At stops, whether safety or deco, I breathe normally. As an aside, if I had an issue at depth that made me overstay my schedule, I would probabally be breathing pretty deeply when I switched to O2, just out of paranoia.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom