Just a thought about the chat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepn0va

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ever since the chat link moved, the place has been dead.

What used to have a good 6-12 people in at peak times, now is almost always empty. Is there any chance it could be placed somewhere that people will notice?

I've re-enabled the link for now. But I am closely watching the REAL activity of the Chat, and whether or not its the same 12 people on a regular basis, and the "increased activity vs being 'Dead'" is just people who click the Chat link to find out what it is, and then leave.

Seriously... There are 3 other links to Chat on SB, and for the regulars, the bookmark and link doesn't change. So be advised that I'm looking for another place to position a link, as the top bar will be congested for users with a smaller screen size.

I think it's the ads that run down the side that congest my window

:p

Ooh la la

So 10:34 pm EST there are 13 members in chat

I think we've found the problem!

I think it's the ads that run down the side that congest my window

:p

Adblocker Plus does a nice job too - I never see spam on this site . . . . or very many others, for that matter . . .

- Tim

Awesome, i was not home lastnight, but when I just got in, I noticed the link is back, and it is good that people packed in lastnight.

As a scubaboarder for 4 years, i had no idea until lastnight there were other links for the chat other than that top nav bar.

Many thanks to the staff for listening to popular demand, you folks rock.

Ooh la la

So 10:34 pm EST there are 13 members in chat

I think we've found the problem!

Yes, and it's the same 6 people who chat, and then a bunch of pop-ins and immediate sign-outs. But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and research this for a few more days. But if this is what you call "rockin" as opposed to "wow it's dead in here" then my bad.

I see nothing bad if it is the same group of people who often give quality advice to new divers that pop in to ask quick questions. I have seen some people feel almost intimidated to post in the forum that were much more comfortable asking questions in real time.

Then again maybe a community that helps one another may not be what you guys are going for here, and in that case should be removed along with other advice related areas of the site. I have seen them take page real estate that could be otherwise used in the future.

I also don't see anything bad, but there are several links to the chat... Right now, you can access the Chat from the Forum main page, the community link, and the quick links... And the regulars know how to use bookmarks right? If not... I can show you.

Even if there were 20 people on chat last night like you claim. Most of them logged on and then immediately off. So if the Number on the navbar said "20" how long was that really true?

Last night on ScubaBoard there were over 2000 people on the ScubaBoard site. Should I use the space on the top navigation bar for a small group, a microcosm of the whole site? View the page at 1024 x 768, and you'll see the navbar is crowded.

I hear others always complain about the ads... but without ads, there is NO SCUBABOARD. The ads are kept to the side, and not strewn across the middle of the forums, or in between posts... We need advertising, but we try to keep it well placed, so as not to overtake the threads.

I will be adding something, to the nav bar. It's not an advertisement, like you think. But at the same time... Let me say this.

the chat you love. I had to PAY for the software. Where do you THINK the money comes from? My pocket? Pete's? The money to pay for your precious chat comes from advertising. Just like the other features of this site, which many many more people use every day.

You and the 4 other regular chatters (well, not all of the regulars, but several of you) have come forward to complain about the removal of the link.

As I said. I'm looking carefully at the "activity".

Back
Top Bottom