Just a quick weighting question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spread on the responses is from 8 lbs to 16 lbs. Likely you will dive aluminum 80's in Cozumel. If the 3 mil is new, given your body size and type, I am guessing 12 pounds + or - 2. I am 5'10", 210, and use 14 or 15 pounds in a full body 3 mil with an aluminum 80. You should need less, but again, that's a guess. New gear, new conditions, do a good weight check, and adjust as appropriate after the first dive. Have a great trip!
DivemasterDennis

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

8lbs ended up being spot on.

The dive was fantastic. The lake (up near Bancroft) was quite shallow and super warm so upon arrival the dive plan time was extended to however long the air lasted. We got in a good hour and 15ish with 500 to spare on the AL80 hovering between 12 and 26ffw.

I had a few stare downs with some humongous and curious smallmouth bass (one of which we caught and ate later - scouting mission accomplished haha) and chased some rather timid northern pike around the weeds. Didn't catch any pike after despite some serious effort. They were very cool to watch underwater though - they were patrolling around the outskirts of a huge school of baby perch and bass in the weeds. Totally reminded me of the video I've seen of sharks swimming around the outskirts of the reefs.

Highlight of the dive: Stopped to hover about 6in from the bottom in the weeds to practice buoyancy for a good ten minutes and after about 7min of floating motionless in the water column a monster pike swam up to a dead little perch hidden under some weeds I hadn't even noticed myself. He went completely perpendicular to eye the possible snack close up, mulled it over, and eventually lost interest continuing on his patrol right by us. He was the biggest underwater creature I've seen thus far and some interesting behaviour - definitely a cool reward for buoyancy practice!

The other success was keeping the hands folded together for (almost) the entire dive. I did hand fin a couple times, more out of instinct(?) than need.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

8lbs ended up being spot on.

The dive was fantastic. The lake (up near Bancroft) was quite shallow and super warm so upon arrival the dive plan time was extended to however long the air lasted. We got in a good hour and 15ish with 500 to spare on the AL80 hovering between 12 and 26ffw.

I had a few stare downs with some humongous and curious smallmouth bass (one of which we caught and ate later - scouting mission accomplished haha) and chased some rather timid northern pike around the weeds. Didn't catch any pike after despite some serious effort. They were very cool to watch underwater though - they were patrolling around the outskirts of a huge school of baby perch and bass in the weeds. Totally reminded me of the video I've seen of sharks swimming around the outskirts of the reefs.

Highlight of the dive: Stopped to hover about 6in from the bottom in the weeds to practice buoyancy for a good ten minutes and after about 7min of floating motionless in the water column a monster pike swam up to a dead little perch hidden under some weeds I hadn't even noticed myself. He went completely perpendicular to eye the possible snack close up, mulled it over, and eventually lost interest continuing on his patrol right by us. He was the biggest underwater creature I've seen thus far and some interesting behaviour - definitely a cool reward for buoyancy practice!

The other success was keeping the hands folded together for (almost) the entire dive. I did hand fin a couple times, more out of instinct(?) than need.

Who would have guessed?? So you will want 12 lbs in Cozumel, but i bet after a day or two of diving, you will be down to 9-10 lbs of lead.

Not sure exactly where you're located, but if you can make it to Gullivers near Hamilton on Tuesday at about 4PM, we'll have a group of people there that can help you out with weighting concerns.

Last week I was there with a 3mm and was quite fine with it, we're Canadians, so we don't let cold bother us.

Who would have guessed?? So you will want 12 lbs in Cozumel, but i bet after a day or two of diving, you will be down to 9-10 lbs of lead.

Haha, I dunno, probably some clever individual. Perhaps it may be a good day to buy a lottery ticket Dumpster?

12 to start it is.

Not sure exactly where you're located, but if you can make it to Gullivers near Hamilton on Tuesday at about 4PM, we'll have a group of people there that can help you out with weighting concerns.

Last week I was there with a 3mm and was quite fine with it, we're Canadians, so we don't let cold bother us.

I would totally take you up on the offer, however, Tuesday morning I'll be en-route to paradise... so perhaps a little later this summer I can join you guys for a dive or three? I'll shoot you a PM after I get back and see what's up. Thanks for the invite!

And agreed, a little chilly water'll never sway us northern folk. Haha!

I would totally take you up on the offer, however, Tuesday morning I'll be en-route to paradise... so perhaps a little later this summer I can join you guys for a dive or three? I'll shoot you a PM after I get back and see what's up. Thanks for the invite!

And agreed, a little chilly water'll never sway us northern folk. Haha!

Enjoy your stay in Coz, I was there in February and enjoyed it.

Another point about your weighting, if you are in a 7mm and chilly, low viz waters, you'll do amazing with a thin wetsuit and warm water. You'll just be that much more comfortable. One thing I'd love to do is to take a DM from Coz and subject him to Tobermory and see how he suffers with poor buoyancy. And getting chilled. It just wouldn't be fair. You've definitely got the advantage there.

Back
Top Bottom