Just a quick weighting question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so all of my dives have been cold water. Recently I got a new 2 piece 7mm wetsuit and dove it wearing 26lbs. I think I was slightly overweighted.

Next week I'm headed to Coz with a new 3mm. I want to have some sort of idea as to how much weight to play with on my first checkout dive so this weekend I'm doing a quick lake dive with a buddy and the 3mm to try and sort it out.

The plan is just a quick dive down to around 15-20 ft just to sort out buoyancy and weighting and putz around a very small area. Shoot off the SMB and do a good weight check at 500psi.

My question is what would be a good guesstimate to start the dive with, given the slightly overweighted 26lbs with the new 7mm farmer Jon and jacket? I'll also be using 5mm boots, slightly buoyant fins, and a Zeagle Stiletto BCD...if that makes a difference. I'm 5'7" and around 135lbs and wirey.

Yes I realize I will be cold, we've planned 30min max and a thumb if I start getting the shivers at all. And on a side note as well, I recently did a drift class so this will not be my first time with an SMB.

I also get that this is just a rough guess. My thought was most of you guys have much more experience than I or my buddy so it doesn't hurt to ask the pros. :)

I was thinking that I'd start with maybe 12lbs?

Many thanks for the time and effort of those who reply to my question, it's greatly appreciated! :)

was the 26 in salt or fresh?

Freshwater, I'm landlocked up in Ontario lol

I would start with 4kg or 9lb and if possible get your buddy to hand you another weight if you can't get down correctly.

Just remember that a correct descent is a skill in itself. Anyone with rocks in their head can sink themselves :)

Might save you some cold.......roll your suit, secure it in your BCD, let all the air out, place lead weights on it until it sinks. That's how much lead you'll need. Factor in the fresh to salt water conversion and your in the ballpark. My guess is you'll need around 16-18lbs max in Coz.

Remember to add 4 lbs for the tank.

you will probably need 8 lbs in Cozumel,, start with 10 and there is no way you will need 12 lbs. Try 8 lbs in the lake...

I would start with 4kg or 9lb and if possible get your buddy to hand you another weight if you can't get down correctly.

Just remember that a correct descent is a skill in itself. Anyone with rocks in their head can sink themselves :)

I hear you on the correct descent. One of the many skills I'm working on is just that. I've been going for horizontal descents and using my lungs more than the rocks. I think I've been doing pretty good thus far for a beginner. Thanks for the reply!

Might save you some cold.......roll your suit, secure it in your BCD, let all the air out, place lead weights on it until it sinks. That's how much lead you'll need. Factor in the fresh to salt water conversion and your in the ballpark. My guess is you'll need around 16-18lbs max in Coz.

Remember to add 4 lbs for the tank.

Very cool out of the box tip! I would have never thought of that but it really makes sense. I think I'll still go for the dive for some added buoyancy work, the SMB shoot, and simply getting the feel for getting the weighting right. I think I'll try this post-dive though and compare results. Thanks for your reply!

you will probably need 8 lbs in Cozumel,, start with 10 and there is no way you will need 12 lbs. Try 8 lbs in the lake...

Thanks Dumps, I think I'll start with eight and have my buddy hang on to 4 extra to play with just in case. The prompt response is appreciated!

It only takes 2-5lbs to sink a brand new 3mm full. Add how much it takes to sink you in the buff (or a rashguard, your choice) and you have your weighting. Add 2-4lbs for your BC's materials unless you sport a backplate.
Factor in the tank and you should know how much to ballpark with on your first dive.

I'd say 12lbs would be overweighted w/ an Al 80, usually.

I think you've got a good idea from all the posts, on top of that if you get a good DM in Coz he'll give you the weight he thinks and it should be spot on. Again, around 12lbs + 4lbs for the tank = 16lbs. Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom