Just a bit deeper in Belize...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimsLikeRock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going on a cruise this February with a stop in Belize. I'd like to take the dive excursion to Turneffe Atoll while there. Thing is... I'm only a moderately experienced diver with around 30 dives to depths no greater than 60ft or so. Surfing the web, I see the dives listed there as being more like 80-100ft. I know the PADI line would be I need "Deep Diver" certification but... Practically speaking, what's involved in that extra 20 or 40 feet? Assuming I follow the dive master's and/or my dive computer's recommendations, can I dive these depths with the same techniques I've used to date?

Practically speaking, what's involved in that extra 20 or 40 feet?

It's all about gas. The deeper you go, the more you need.

Is there a huge difference between 60 and 80 feet? No.

Assuming I follow the dive master's and/or my dive computer's recommendations, can I dive these depths with the same techniques I've used to date?

:popcorn:

I would recomend more training if you are going. It may or may not be a problem for you... but is it really worth the risk? You have plenty of time for an AOW and/or Deep diver certification. If you have to ask what the difference is.. I advise a class. Money well spent even if you decide "afterward" you really didn't need it.

Too many vacations go horribly wrong! JMHO

If you are comfortable with doing those dives then chances are you will be fine. With a buddy and a DM you shouldn't have a whole lot to worry about except maybe narcosis. AOW doesn't necessarily teach you a whole lot more about going deeper, but rather other skills such as navigation. People have been diving further than 60' for many years without having an AOW certification. If you want some more reading pick up the PADI Adventures in Diving Manual and read the deep diving section.

With this I'm not saying don't take AOW. I'm glad I took AOW and I learned some skills from it, but if you're going to take it just for one vacation it isn't really needed.

My first boat dives exceeded 60, but I was assigned a DM for $20 extra. Felt OK--was good to know a pro was my buddy. AOW gets you to 100 and PADI Deep Diver to the 130 max. As Blackwood said-- really watch how fast your tank empties down there, and keep track of that anchor line if not with a DM.

Assuming I follow the dive master's and/or my dive computer's recommendations, can I dive these depths with the same techniques I've used to date?

Oh my...

The techniques are really no different--plan your dive, dive your plan, breathe in, breathe out, monitor depth, time, gas pressure, and buoyancy control on both descent and ascent--but going deeper entails additional risks and you need to monitor those items more closely than you do on shallow dives. Also, you need to plan your dive more conservatively, e.g. don't push the envelope on no-decompression limits.

As to the dive master's recommendations...do you trust him with your life?

Concerning a computer, it is a planning and monitoring aid, not a control device, IMHO.

That said, your existing experience may have already prepared you well. If you're accustomed to diving off the New England coast, there's little that Belize can throw at you in the way of water that you probably haven't handled already.

The deeper the dive, the faster you use gas. There's also the greatly reduced no-decompression times, line usage, ascent rates, safety stops (you may wish to do deep/Pyle stops), additional exposure protection needed, different gas mixes (may with to use nitrox)... In reality the dive isn't that much complicated (if you have an ascent line and a competent DM), just darker and sometimes not as much life.

At 30 dives (if you're doing it regularly) you're probably starting to grasp your buoyancy and breathing a bit better than an OW diver on dive 5 of their career. If you're a vacation diver you may wish to do an AOW course or a refresher before attempting this.

Go for it. I did the Speigle Grove with a DM with only 10 dives under my belt at 66 years old. Man up.

SwimsLikeRock

If you have been making New England dives to 60 feet or so then you'll be entirely comfortable going to 100 feet.

What cares the crap out of me is doing so following the lead of the DM and your computer. To wonder what is involved with nearly doubling your depth to date tells me you are not prepared to do it.

While tropical water will be warm and clear you will still consume air at an increased rate and will farther than ever from the surface.

I second the recommendations to either seek further training or dive within your limits.

Pete

Best advise would be to work on deep dive before you go. AOW will allow you to dive with an instructor to depth. There are few differences to diving deeper. The differences in air consumption and attention to ascent rates are important, but the possibility of narcosis is the greatest risk.

I'm not sure what manning up is in diving. Limit your risks. If you do it without further training please dive with a more experienced diver (considering 30 dives experienced is bold) as your buddy and let the divemaster know your situation.

Remember that if you are diving with a group the divemaster has a responsibility for all the divers.

Good luck and have fun but dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom