JUP Rpt Sep 19 - Getting in,,, between the Earl & Fiona hurricanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's like running out of the grocery store between downpours to your car. It's hurricane season and you get a tiny dive window of calm between rough weather. We jumped out of Jupiter inlet to flat calm seas when NOAA predicted 2-3's. Still hazy at 30 to 40 ft of viz on the MG111. Slight half knot current and 80° with no thermos. Team 1 said 25 - 35 friendly boomers underwater. I found a second Goliath spot that was a shallow cave at 102 ft deep that was new to me and had 25 more Goliath's on it. They ate all the lobsters but left me a dozen lionfish, a few of them also inside the cave. 2 of the big male GG's weren't leaving their cubby hole, even when asked nicely. I had to sneek in from the cave's side and plunk the 6 big lions on the back wall who were eating the baitfish. The GG's and I kinda did the "Doe-See-Doe" dance while we swapped positions. Everyone was happy as I exited the other side.

20220919_150858.jpg

We always say, feed the captains. If you are nice to the other dive boats they will remember it and be nice to you. Picture below is us handing off our extra hot lunch bowl of butter noodles and Italian meatballs to the Jupiter Dive Center's Republic 7 near the MG111 with Capt Brad & deckhand Eric grabbing the meal hook (2 forks included). Take care of the Captain/Crew and they will make your next dive with them incredible !!

Screenshot_20220920-072829.png

It's like running out of the grocery store between downpours to your car. It's hurricane season and you get a tiny dive window of calm between rough weather. We jumped out of Jupiter inlet to flat calm seas when NOAA predicted 2-3's. Still hazy at 30 to 40 ft of viz on the MG111. Slight half knot current and 80° with no thermos. Team 1 said 25 - 35 friendly boomers underwater. I found a second Goliath spot that was a shallow cave at 102 ft deep that was new to me and had 25 more Goliath's on it. They ate all the lobsters but left me a dozen lionfish, a few of them also inside the cave. 2 of the big male GG's weren't leaving their cubby hole, even when asked nicely. I had to sneek in from the cave's side and plunk the 6 big lions on the back wall who were eating the baitfish. The GG's and I kinda did the "Doe-See-Doe" dance while we swapped positions. Everyone was happy as I exited the other side.

View attachment 744603

We always say, feed the captains. If you are nice to the other dive boats they will remember it and be nice to you. Picture below is us handing off our extra hot lunch bowl of butter noodles and Italian meatballs to the Jupiter Dive Center's Republic 7 near the MG111 with Capt Brad & deckhand Eric grabbing the meal hook (2 forks included). Take care of the Captain/Crew and they will make your next dive with them incredible !!

View attachment 744604
NOAA.... If we listened to them, we'd never dive! Sometimes they just need to look out the window to post a forecast

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom