Jup Rpt Jul 26 - Mini Season Lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Mini-Season was 3 tanks on Jupiter Dive Center's Republic 4 with Capt Ryan. Went way south of Juno pier and landed on bugs.

Normal 1.5 knot currents and toasty 81° water today. Top to bottom viz and the surface current was running about three knots.

Seven bugs on the first tank and grab my final 13th bug on the second tank with the FWC coin.

20230726_133123.jpg

I brought walking tacos lunch for 18 people on the boat. @CosbySweater brought incredible rice krispy treats too! Soap, Lather, Rinse, and repeat again tomo
rrow.

20230726_105221.jpg

Day 2 Mini-Season Lobster update:

If you could "Copy&Paste" the same above report to Day 2, that's what it was.
Same Temps, Same Viz, same bottom current & 3knot surface currents, Same 13 lobsters on just 2 tanks and Same Walking Taco's lunch except instead of fajita steak it was cubed chicken. We didn't even get rained on like Ft. Lauderdale did.

In Jupiter, there were no accidents, no lost divers and nobody died.

Some people might say "what the hell are you going to do with 26 lobsters?", but knowing you, the answer is probably something like....

"Feed the whole boat lobster bisque for the next 3 trips." :)

Weather People really blew the forecast. Maybe they should just get themselves windows. I got up this morning, looked outside and put the boat in the water.

Weather People really blew the forecast.
From Last Friday the 21st, till Weds the 26th, NOAA's database and wave model has been taken offline. Usually that happens when several inputs are outside the algorithm's parameters. That raw database is used by EVERY webpage like windfinder, magic seaweed, etc. None of those websites own satellites like the GOES-East satellite that gives NOAA the raw data to use. They all get it from NOAA,,,,and it was broken. That meant we had to use just the wind models and guess at the wave heights.

I agree, today most eveyone missed the forecast. But when I woke up and saw the wind speed was no where near the 12-14mph forecasted, I knew it was going to be 1-2' waves. Usually they trash the wave models when we get an approaching hurricane, but nothing is getting close to us. Next up is Sunday Aug 6th and like @johndiver999 said, I'm making 18 cupcake sized packages of steak and lobster treats for the entire Scubaworks boat. I've done this recipe before and it's a HUGE hit cause divers are used to cold chips and water for snacks. Yaa gotta love boat food !!

From Last Friday the 21st, till Weds the 26th, NOAA's database and wave model has been taken offline. Usually that happens when several inputs are outside the algorithm's parameters. That raw database is used by EVERY webpage like windfinder, magic seaweed, etc. None of those websites own satellites like the GOES-East satellite that gives NOAA the raw data to use. They all get it from NOAA,,,,and it was broken. That meant we had to use just the wind models and guess at the wave heights.

I agree, today most eveyone missed the forecast. But when I woke up and saw the wind speed was no where near the 12-14mph forecasted, I knew it was going to be 1-2' waves. Usually they trash the wave models when we get an approaching hurricane, but nothing is getting close to us. Next up is Sunday Aug 6th and like @johndiver999 said, I'm making 18 cupcake sized packages of steak and lobster treats for the entire Scubaworks boat. I've done this recipe before and it's a HUGE hit cause divers are used to cold chips and water for snacks. Yaa gotta love boat food !!
Perhaps the weather report should begin with a disclaimer such as.... This is what we think, but we're not really sure... so here goes.

Truth be told in S. Florida if you said "Tomorrow's weather will the same as today, you would be correct over 85% of the time"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom