Junior Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son is 11 (he's 12 this month) with 50+ dives. We live in the southwest and land locked. He would like to take a few nice kid friendly dive vacations. Do you have some suggestions? He should have his advance cert soon which will give him some flexibility at different dive locations. Also, I'm finding it hard to locate quality dive gear for him (XS stuff).

My 10 yo is diving with a DSS BP/W set up it was cheaper than any of the jacket BC's I could find for him as well as he grows it will cost me about $8 for new webbing to have it grow with him if you call DSS and talk to tobin and give him your sons measurements he can get him fitted right!

Thanks for the reply. I bought him a scuba pro XXS BC with integrated air source. I was looking for a website with additional equipment for future use. I had to search for about a year before I found the right BC. After the BC purchase, I found out that a ladyhawk fit him just right but it was to late. Do you kow of any companies that concentrate on quality scuba equipment for juniors?

Don't know about any equipment for juniors.

My 19 year old daughter (diving since 14) still wears a Scuba Pro BC extra small and a henderson size 4 wetsuit. The smallest I could find.

One reason I purchased gear is so they would have something that fits!

Thanks for the reply. I bought him a scuba pro XXS BC with integrated air source. I was looking for a website with additional equipment for future use. I had to search for about a year before I found the right BC. After the BC purchase, I found out that a ladyhawk fit him just right but it was to late. Do you kow of any companies that concentrate on quality scuba equipment for juniors?

Yup I was about to suggest the Ladyhawk. Finding BCDs for little guys and gals can be a struggle. Ive been on the lookout myself for a teeny set of gear to use when i teach seals and bubblemakers. How big is he?

As for kid friendly dive vacations, the world is your oyster. Most dive Ops are coming round to the idea that diving is now a family sport and that ankle biters want to get wet too! If you are looking for a fun cruise type vacation check out www.windjammer.com I have not been with them but it looks to be a good time and they have a kids club. You could also try Sandals as they offer both diving and a good vibe for the kids. If you want to stay in the US then email some of the OPs down in the keys of FL and see if they could suggest a kid friendly hotel / resort to stay in while you dive with them.

If you are looking to travel in the next week your welcome to crash on my couch and dive off my seawall!! Good luck and keep him diving!!!!!!

J

Your best bet for smaller BC is Dive Rite Transpak. Fit is better than standard BC. They also offer free upgrade until your kid is 16 or 18 can't remember. My sons have been diving with theirs for 5 years. They started when they where about 5' tall and now they are 6'. We have only had to adjust straps.

My 14yr. old is a Jr. OW diver (about 20 dives) and his brother 12, will be one early in the spring. I bought the 14yr. old a Poseidon BeSea W50 because it will fit anyone from XXS to XXL (the torso length is adjustable in addition to all the standard adjustments, plus the rig is very modular). He might wear it out or tire of it, but he'll never outgrow it (he grew 2" last year.)

His reg is a Tri-metal (XS Scuba). It breathes VERY nice, as nice as my USD Legend LX.

As for kid-friendly destinations, I'm having similar issues (PLUS, my wife doesn't dive). Pretty much anywhere with beach accessible diving and calm water boat diving at moderate depths (65' or less) is what we've looked at for our son. We hope to head to Grand Cayman for spring break. I've also been told by a co-worker that CoCoView (Honduras) is a perfect site. Not a lot for the nondivers, but beach dive leads to a wall and a lot of the boat dives will drop you off along the wall to let you migrate back to the resort w/o worrying about the boat. I was told that it made for some very leisurely, low stress diving.

He said he takes his daughter (diving since 12) all the time because the shallow dives at the entry and the "wreck" are as good as any he's been on (and he's been diving a long time.)

Our LDS plans trips that are teen friendly, since they certify a lot of them. But, I wish more resorts would cater to younger divers and their families.

Me and my Son are got our open water certification June 2006 and nitrox August 2007 currently planing some advanced training. We both have Dive Rite Transpacks, as he grow's all we need to do is adjust the harness. At some point buy some straps if we run out of adjustment. Many year's from now buy a larger harness. But he will never outgrow the wing or accesory's as for they are standard,interchangeble and will switch out with a harness of any size and we can share all the part's. Also whatever level diving we choose to advance to we will not have to replace our equipment And If we do not need it any more the equipment will have value to a open water,advanced diver or teck diver

I just wish they had wetsuit's and booties they did not outgrow so quikly. I told the dive shop that it had shrunk But they did not buy that story!

My son is 11 (he's 12 this month) with 50+ dives. We live in the southwest and land locked. He would like to take a few nice kid friendly dive vacations. Do you have some suggestions? He should have his advance cert soon which will give him some flexibility at different dive locations. Also, I'm finding it hard to locate quality dive gear for him (XS stuff).

When both our son's were certified @ age 12, we found no problem with either diving(to 100+ feet) in the Caribbean or finding equipment(what in particular are you having trouble with) for them......Try BIBR or Anthoney's Key(AKR) on Roatan........they both should let you do 'what you want' as long as you take responsibility & stay within the NDL....

Now saying that, this was ~ 15 y.a. when diving was taught & not just thrown @ you......

Diver 85,

Thanks for the reply. I think we'll plan our next trip to Roatan as I've heard great things about that dive location. I did find a few additional accesories for my 12 year old son. He's going through the junior master diver program so some of it was required. We thought your pics were great! One of the specialties we're taking together is the underwater photography class. I purchased a new didgital camera to take to Aruba with us. We should have taken the class before we departed. About half of the 400+ photo's turned out nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom