10 year old: Best dive location for Junior Open Water Certificate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whether it is allowed by standards or not, a ten yr old is too young to be diving. just my opinion.
I started teaching scuba diving to my sons at 2 years in the pool, and at 5 years in the sea (Sardinia).
At 10 they were already quite proficient...
For me, better to begin as early as possible, so that diving becomes second-nature for them.
The worst instead is beginning at 14-18 years with no previous experience.
Youngsters are reckless and not very prone to obey to adults.
Of course with small children you must progress very slowly and everything must be presented as a game.
Using scuba systems must be just a fraction of the whole experience, as they first need to learn swimming, using fins, snorkel, mask, perform a number of tasks while breath-holding or breathing from the snorkel, before being introduced to hookah and wearing a small tank...

JYC taught Fabien when he was 4
Lloyd Bridges, in a Boca Raton pool, stuffed a double hose reg in my 6yo mouth, i looked down at his white Jantzen trunks and Voit duck flippers.

A vivid recollection. Not a fish or coral in sight.

Somehow i have survived the intervening 65 years and 5k? dives.

Age debate aside, we got our kids certified together at 13, 13, and 15 on Bonaire. They did a bubble blower/intro class in a pool with a local dive shop to get a professional opinion on their readiness. They did online class, pool and checkouts on island.

Why? We wanted their first experience to be almost guaranteed to be positive weather, dive conditions, reef and fish, no big scary sharks :wink:. My wife and I had been there multiple times, and were familiar with the diving, island, culture etc. Kids and teens tend to keep their own schedule shore diving makes this no problem.

It went exceedingly well, and would do it the same way if I had to do it again.

Finally, personally, I don't think I've ever met a 10 year old who should be underwater on scuba. Just my 2 cents.

Finally, personally, I don't think I've ever met a 10 year old who should be underwater on scuba. Just my 2 cents.
I think it really depends. My best student ever was a 14 year old girl. God damm she was awesome, but she had a background in competitive synchronized swimming which had an impact on her picking up scuba diving. When we dropped down to OW1, she was there right with me. I could see the utter joy in her eyes. She was the most coachable student I've ever had. She absorbed knowledge and skills like a sponge. She had her buoyancy, trim, and finning dialed in right from the beginning. She had zero issue with any of the skills. She was just a complete natural and I take zero credit in her acquisition of dive skills.

Again, she was "only" 14 when she learned to dive in the Puget Sound (she did her open water dives in a dry suit). She had the mental and physical maturity to dive, no doubt about it. Could she have learned to dive at the age of 12 in the Puget Sound? I'd put money on it that she could. At 10 in the Puget Sound? I won't say one way or the other as there is tremendous emotional, mental, and physical growth in those 4 years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she did. At 10 in the tropics? Most likely yes.

I will say, she had awesome parents who were heavily involved with her development. Her mom was great. And her dad, I worked with him years prior. This was a very much loved child, but not a coddled one. As a father of a 3-year old girl, I'd love for my own to resemble my student when she's similar in age (my daughter is fortunately like her mother, a fish, who loves to be in the sea, even if it is cold - that's her Russian side).

Now my worst student was a 36 year old child in my class. Insufficient physical ability. The most uncoachable student I've ever had. He just wanted to do whatever he wanted and would abandon his buddy and the class. Even with remedial 1:1 training, he was impossible to teach. He simply did not care. And I didn't certify him. I saw him as a danger to himself and any inexperinced diver buddied up with him.

These are two different extremes.

@caz777

Your daughter is only 10, the borderline age. These are some of the questions you need to answer yourself before you embark on getting her certified. Does she have the physical and mental strength to scuba dive, even in the tropics? Is she coachable? Does she have the maturity to appreciate the seriousness of the risks in scuba diving?

Besides answering these questions, you need to find a responsible instructor. There are too many clowns in this industry who disregard safe practices.

As far as my own daughter, I can't say when she will learn to dive. I certainly won't ask Fabien to teach my daughter when she turns 4. Not sure about 10. She could be 17 and I still might not, though if that is the case, my wife and I have failed as parents to raise a young woman who is responsible and has the skills to succeed in the world.

Seriously... are you looking to adopt? My wife tells me I'm a child so the time lol

Reactions: Doc
Are we really going to compare prodigies to the average? Is that what this thread is about? For every rule there is an exception, should there be an exception for every fool?

The ask is recommendations for certification spots for a 10 year old child, the answer is as benign as possible. We all have our opinions as to the wisdom of any certification of a 10 year old but that is not germain. A separate discussion of the motivation behind offering such could make for interesting and spirited debate elsewhere.

You are the one who best knows your child, and you are ultimately responsible for decisions made on their behalf. I chose to stay away from those decisions as far as my conscious will allow.

Reactions: Doc
whether it is allowed by standards or not, a ten yr old is too young to be diving. just my opinion.

I am teaching my Grandson the basics in our back yard pool. He is 8 years old. If he maintains the maturity level he has now, I will have him in a OW class when he is 10. On the other hand, I also have a 16 year old grandson, I am not sure will ever be ready for an OW class.

Each child is an individual, and should be judged on their mental maturity level, and not necessarily their physical age when it comes to diving certification.

Are we really going to compare prodigies to the average? Is that what this thread is about? For every rule there is an exception, should there be an exception for every fool?
We are not comparing, but rather there is a wide range of capabilities, and those capabilities need to determined. Age by itself is not a good rule. I'm not the one who said a 10 year old shouldn't be taught scuba. I say it depends and I offered some insight to the OP on my experiences with one student I had.
The ask is recommendations for certification spots for a 10 year old child, the answer is as benign as possible.
Which is what I provided in my first comment.
We all have our opinions as to the wisdom of any certification of a 10 year old but that is not germain.
Yes, and some of this may due to personal limitations. While I have not taught scuba to six year olds, I have helped children that age learn to read. How I thought I would do it and how I actually wound up doing it are two totally different things. Now the 14 year old was quite mature. But I still dealt with her differently than I do with adults. So have all the other instructors I've seen teach kids under 16.
A separate discussion of the motivation behind offering such could make for interesting and spirited debate elsewhere.
Yeah, I'll probably stay away from that one, especially considering the threat of a 2-week ban I have right now. :wink:
You are the one who best knows your child, and you are ultimately responsible for decisions made on their behalf.
Agreed.
I chose to stay away from those decisions as far as my conscious will allow.
That is every parent's call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom