June 2013 - Back to the Summer Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gol durn it! It's already March and look how lame our roll call is. Come on divers, Cozumel in June, what could be better? Don't be square, get on the list!

Gol durn it! It's already March and look how lame our roll call is. Come on divers, Cozumel in June, what could be better? Don't be square, get on the list!

Ummm... MARCH is better! :rofl3:

We're in too - Bill & Brady!!

June 29 to July 6 at Blue Angel, diving with Blue Angel.

OK were also in, June 1 - 8 and staying at our favorite resort El Cid and diving with Babieca on site. Two teen divers with me.

Ummm... MARCH is better! :rofl3:
Freezing cold water and northers closing the port every other day, no thanks!

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2013 at 04:39 PM ----------

Now we're talking.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

rromero2 +2, June 1-8, El Cid, Babieca
atatt & dtatt, June 11-23, Cozumel Palace, Scuba Mau

Mossman, June 14-22, Secrets/Palace, Living Underwater
Rhodesaz, mid-June, Occidental Grand, [pending]
WestHoustonDiver + 5, June 21, day trip, Scuba Mau
VicScubaVentures, June 29-July 6, Scuba Club, Scuba Club
wills029 +1, June 29-July 6, Blue Angel, Blue Angel
ilympt +2, June 29-July 10, Allegro, Dive with Martin

I will be there from June 16-23. Staying at El Cantil Condos. I just emailed Jeremy to see if he had room so hopefully I'll be with Living Underwater.

Mossman - We crossed paths the last time I was there. We were both staying at the Palace & diving with Jeremy but I had just gotten there and your vacation was ending. I think we were only on the boat together for a day or two.

I will be there from June 16-23. Staying at El Cantil Condos. I just emailed Jeremy to see if he had room so hopefully I'll be with Living Underwater.

Mossman - We crossed paths the last time I was there. We were both staying at the Palace & diving with Jeremy but I had just gotten there and your vacation was ending. I think we were only on the boat together for a day or two.
If those two days included going deep at Maracaibo, then diving with a "substitute" DM the next day, I certainly do remember you (I believe it was just you two and me with the sub DM). Quite the coincidence we're meeting up again! Too bad you're not staying at the Palace this time or I'd buy you a drink.

I look forward to seeing you on the boat. Jeremy should have plenty of room in June, it's not like anyone else wants to dive in Cozumel when it's so hot :)

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

weaver9710, June 16-23, El Cantil, Living Underwater

Ms. Hoop and I will be there June 10-20. We normally stay at El Cozumeleno but wanted to stay in town this trip. Booked yesterday for 10 nights at Suites Bahia.
We'll be diving with Grupo America as usual.

Ms. Hoop and I will be there June 10-20. We normally stay at El Cozumeleno but wanted to stay in town this trip. Booked yesterday for 10 nights at Suites Bahia.
We'll be diving with Grupo America as usual.
Welcome to June. I stayed at the Bahia during the Carnival after Wilma. It was a great time to be in town.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

tomhooper +1, June 10-20, Suites Bahia, Grupo America

Yesterday was my 3-month pre-anniversary of arriving on the island. As of today, less than 3 months to go. On that note, I checked on my flights to make sure nothing had changed for the worse. Lo and behold it had.

Can't blame this one on United even though I booked through them. My return flight was Air Canada through Montreal (the long way home to LAX) as that was the only return flight using miles at the "saver rate" that had an available business class leg out of Cozumel so I could check in my 65 lb camera case without paying a $200 over-weight charge.

I was already worrying about 1.5 hours in Montreal being enough time to clear both Canadian and then U.S. customs/immigration, but was hoping for the best. But when I checked my reservation yesterday, I really got worried. My 1.5 hours had turned into a negative. Now the flight from Cozumel was arriving at 6:30 pm and my flight to LAX was leaving at 5:40 pm. No matter how fast I ran, I wasn't going to make that one.

So I called United. Agent agreed that a negative layover time could present a problem. She was going to start researching other options to get me home from Montreal, when I helpfully suggested that maybe she could find an entirely different way to get me back from Cozumel, such as via Houston on United. Duh! After a few minutes on hold, she came back to tell me that she had to talk to a supervisor, but as there were two different United flights out of Cozumel that day, which would I prefer? I had already done my research, noting that there were all sorts of available options, both direct and less-than-direct, as long as I wanted to shell out the additional 30,000 miles each for the one-way return flight. But that would defeat my good fortune in originally finding an itinerary at the saver rate that worked with my travel dates.

She came back a minute later, saying that the supervisor was still deciding what to do, but was there a chance I could fly back on the 24th instead. I saw what they were trying to do. On the 24th, they had a saver-rate return that had three legs, on of them in an RJ. Hell no. She went back to the supervisor. I crossed my fingers. Finally, she came back and gave my me perfect flight on the original 22nd date, the 3:08 take-off so I can sleep in that morning, 1:45 in Houston for a perfect connection time, and returning to LAX at 8:43 pm. It's even a dinner flight. Exactly what I would have picked if I had wanted to spend 60,000 miles each for the return trip but I managed to get it for the half-price saver rate. Thank you United! Even more, thank you Air Canada! Just one more reason why I love Canadians.

Now I'm on the fence about my passport. It expires Dec. 8, almost, but not quite 6 months after we arrive on the island. Mexico is not one of those countries that requires 6 months validity, but apparently some airlines (I heard Delta is one) will require 6 months even if the country doesn't. The same United rep, after putting me on hold to check, said they didn't require 6 months but caution is telling me to go ahead and renew before the trip just in case. Like what if we get bumped and have to fly Delta? Or what if the rep who at first tried to fly me back from Montreal might have gotten it wrong. Not something I'd want to find out at the airport, that's for sure. So I guess I'll shell out the $140 fee and say goodbye to my trusty old travel companion of the last 9.5 years :( (I know they return the old one, but it won't be the same.)

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

tomhooper +1, June 10-20, Suites Bahia, Grupo America

ilympt +2, June 29-July 10, Allegro, Dive with Martin1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/