June 2013 - Back to the Summer Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm... MARCH is better! :rofl3:
March was good, but I wish I was going again in June. Enjoy your back rolls, Mossman & Co.!

---------- Post added March 16th, 2013 at 05:32 AM ----------

So I guess I'll shell out the $140 fee and say goodbye to my trusty old travel companion of the last 9.5 years :( (I know they return the old one, but it won't be the same.

That's a good strategy, Mossman. You're gonna need a new passport anyway so why risk a great dive trip, even tho old passports rock! :cool2:

Add it!!!!

Nashwl May 29-June 5, Hogtown Motel/Pappa Hogs!
Welcome! You get right to the head of the list.

June 2013 "Back" Roll
:

Nashwl, May 29-June 5, Hogtown Motel, Papa Hogs
rromero2 +2, June 1-8, El Cid, Babieca
tomhooper +1, June 10-20, Suites Bahia, Grupo America
atatt & dtatt, June 11-23, Cozumel Palace, Scuba Mau

Mossman, June 14-22, Secrets/Palace, Living Underwater
weaver9710, June 16-23, El Cantil, Living Underwater
Rhodesaz, mid-June, Occidental Grand, [pending]
WestHoustonDiver + 5, June 21, day trip, Scuba Mau
VicScubaVentures, June 29-July 6, Scuba Club, Scuba Club
wills029 +1, June 29-July 6, Blue Angel, Blue Angel
ilympt +2, June 29-July 10, Allegro, Dive with Martin

Please add me to the list. The snow hasn't even begun to melt here yet so I just booked my tickets getting in June 10 and leaving June 27, staying at my house and diving with Living Underwater. So I will probably see you on the boat.

Please add me to the list. The snow hasn't even begun to melt here yet so I just booked my tickets getting in June 10 and leaving June 27, staying at my house and diving with Living Underwater. So I will probably see you on the boat.
With pleasure. It will be great to finally meet you. I had better see you on the boat! (I'm diving 15-17 and 19-21, taking off the 18th to offgas and change hotels.)

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

MMM, June 10-27, Casa MMM, Living Underwater

With pleasure. It will be great to finally meet you. I had better see you on the boat! (I'm diving 15-17 and 19-21, taking off the 18th to offgas and change hotels.)
Turbulent times. Trip may need adjusting. Distinct possibility I will be solo again, at which point I think I'll take Secrets for 8 days since Cozumel Palace doesn't have a singles rate. Or I may be traveling with another diver, at which point I'll be +1. Who knows?

Which reminds me, I really need to get my reg serviced. Or do I? So many decisions.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

Solo it will be. Changed Secrets reservation to Preferred Club Ocean-View King for $232/night (special rate combined with AAA discount). If I can eat $100 worth of food and drink $100 worth of drinks, which should be no problem, my luxury ocean-view room only costs me $32/night and that's with free internet!

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

Mossman, June 14-22, Secrets Aura, Living Underwater

If I can eat $100 worth of food and drink $100 worth of drinks, which should be no problem, !

I would be as big as a house if I ate and drank that much food and booze! I have a hard time spending more than about $20/day!

I figure a premium for fine dining served in a resort setting. Chauteaubriand, preceded by soup, salad, and appetizer(s), and dining right on the ocean will tend to cost more than a taco stand several blocks inland.

Let's compare with Pepe's instead, a place where I've never had more than a decent meal, nothing great. And the setting there pales in comparison to the French restaurant at Secrets.

CARPACCIO DE FILETE ANGUS. 198
ENSALADITA DE LA CASA, CON VINAGRETA BALSÁMICO Y PARMESANO, 76
CHATEAUBRIAND P/2 PERS . (500 gms.), 850 (so 425 pp)
TIRAMISU 90
That adds up to 789 pesos, not including IVA and gratuity (already included at Secrets), or near $100 U.S. when it's all said and done and that's without drinks or soup (I couldn't find soup on the menu). The French restaurant at Secrets sounds like it will be better than Pepe's, but I'll be the best judge of that when I'm actually there.

So $100 just for dinner. Add another $20 for a few glasses of wine. $10 for a couple dinner margaritas. $10 for breakfast buffet or room service. $10-15 for lunch. And $45-50 more for other assorted snacks and cocktails.

Sure, it can be done on a shoestring, but since I'm already there I may as well get my money's worth! And I'll burn off all the calories underwater :)

In any case, an ocean-view room, single rate, at Suites Bahia will cost me $78.66/night when taxes are figured in. My ocean-view junior suite at Secrets is only $154 more than that. $154/day of food and drinks is much easier to manage than $200, so that will be my updated goal. And trust me, I've stayed at Suites Bahia and it's definitely no Secrets.

mossman, who do you book your travels with? I'm looking at pricing and cant seem to get the rates you posted.

Back
Top Bottom