July 1-6 Key Largo Report (Kelly's & Aquanuts)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We went to Key Largo 7/1-7/6 as part of a group that was staying at Kelly's on the Bay and diving with Aquanuts. We'd planned on going over that time but were looking at other hotels and shops. Friends of ours were going with a group and it seemed like a good deal, so we went.

Kelly's - Clean rooms, but be very careful when you book. Pick your room and reserve the exact one you want. As part of the group we didn't have a choice and we got a very tiny one with 1 dbl bed. I kid you not, we couldn't open the bathroom door without having it hit the bed, and the min-fridge could only be opened if the room door was closed. The only place to hang close was right in front of the door over the fridge so, anything longer then a shirt and you were out of luck. Some rooms with 2 dbls or the queens with a kitchenette are ok size. The dock area and sundeck are nice, and the pool was ok.

Aquanuts - We dove over the holiday and before. The crew is freindly and do a good job, but they will really pack the divers (and a few snorkelers) on during the weekend, especially the afternoon boats. Way too crowded onboard. There's no special consideration or preference given to hotel guests or groups. We had to sign up every day for the dives and they are VERY disorganized. The office makes you initial that you're signing up for dives and makes a really big deal about it, however, in 4 days of diving, not once did the boat get the correct manafest. On a couple of afternoons this was a problem since they had full boats and we had to actually get a bit testy to get on, even though we'd signed up a day or 2 ahead for both AM and PM dives. The turnaround is ridiculous. You have about 30-45 min to eat, get geared up and get back on the boat. They are not set up well for divers who want to do more then 1 trip/day. Also had little variety in reefs. They said conditions, we felt it was all about their convenience. In 4 days we did 3 trips to Molasses and 3 to French Reef. Different moorings but still, a little more variety would have been nice. And the 2nd dive they went about 2 min to the next ball. We also did 2 dives and a night dive on the Benwood, 2 on the City of Washington.

The highlight of the 4 days was the awesome conditions we had for the Spiegel Grove and a pretty good dive on the Duane as well. The vis, conditions etc on the reefs were pretty good. A bit choppy on top and strong surge on a few dives. Lots of marine life. It was great for photography.

The convenience of having your room, gear storage and the dock within a few steps of eachother was nice, but, overall, I probably wouldn't dive again with Aquanuts. I like doing AM and PM most days and they are just not set up for that. I'd say that if you are a 1 trip/day diver and not looking for anything too advanced, and only going for a couple days, you'd find them to be ok. I'd only stay at Kelly's if I chose my exact room and got a good deal on it.

Next trip to the Keys we're going to go a little further south to Tavernier or Islamorada. But, I won't be rushing back to the Keys anytime soon. When we added up the flight, car, hotel and diving, it's about the same as we usually pay for Mexico and several places in the Caribbean.

a week in June.

All you said is also true with them except - - they were very organized.

Boats full on the weekends as you said. Very little turn around time as you said.

Be selective in your room as you said. They pick the dive sites as you said.

All that being said I would use Amory's again and would stay there again.

I dive with a 12 and 15 year old and they were essentially a perfect operation for what I was looking for.

I don't know if they still do it, but when I dove with Kelley's in March '99 I was going out on both morning and afternoon boats.

The Capt. had a copy of the menu from Hobo's, the restaurant next door. He'd take my order, combine it with his crew's, then call it in by VHF to Hobo's.

In any case, you can just bring a cellphone and call in your order about the time you get into the mangrove channels and it should be waiting for you.

-----

Kelly's 42' Newtons are really nice boats ---- provided you are there on slow weeks and there are only 5 on the boat.:)

We had an order called in 2 days, and the 3rd & 4th day we'd gotten sandwiches the night before from Win Dixie (supermarket). Even with calling ahead, 45 min was a real rush to set up a camera, our tanks, go up and get our order, eat and get on the boat. Actually, overall Hobo's was the best food & service of anyplace we ate. I guess we're just spoiled in the NY/NJ area with so many great restaurants in all different price ranges. We had a couple pricey meals out that weren't worth it food or service wise.

One thing I forgot to mention, Aquanuts boats are not camera friendly (photo or video). This was our 1st time diving in the Keys, so in fairness, this may be the same for all the operators, but there was a tiny rinse "bucket" at the stern with barely enough room for 2 camera rigs. There's nowhere to safely change film. Their real interest is to get 25-30 bodies on the boats twice a day. Again, in fairness, this may be the norm and not the exception but, since it's my first Keys experience, I have nothing to compare to except the diving I've done in other destinations.

I haven't dove Aquanuts, but last year I dove with Capt Slates Atlantis Dive center. He put on a top notch trip for us (but then again, the group I was with has annual dive trips to him for the last 5 years). He has some great boats, and a friendly crew that helps you out alot.

So check him out if your ever down there again.

Paul =-)

scubawife once bubbled...

Also had little variety in reefs. They said conditions, we felt it was all about their convenience.

I was in Key Largo during the same time period, diving with two other operators. Seas were 3-6 feet for some of our dives. Viz was pretty stirred up. There was A LOT of surge during a few of our reef dives. I wouldn't discount the crew's comment that conditions dictated your dive sites. I've been out with Kelly's several times and I have not had any complaints about variety in the past.

Every operator in the keys was making hay while the sun shone over the holiday weekend. If you dive a holiday weekend, the operators WILL fill their boats. If you want an empty boat, avoid holidays and weekends, or go with an operator with a small boat (Like Scuba-Do) who limits the number of divers under all conditions. (For one mind-blowing exception, see below.)

I agree that the disorganization was a problem. If you had signed up for dives in advance you should have been on the manifest - full stop. On discovering the error the staff should have said, "Oh gee. I'm sorry. I'll take care of that for you." You should not have had to get testy with them to get on to the boat. Allowing you on the boat contributed to the over-crowding, of course, but there is no reason why that should be YOUR problem.

My sweetie and I had siimilar problems with the operator we did most of our diving with. I pre-booked all of our dives in advance. On our first day we pre-paid everything, including Nitrox fills. They never had us on the manifest for any of our dives.

But we had the last laugh. Our final booked dive was an afternoon trip to the Duane. As usual the dive op forgot to put us on the manifest for the afternoon boat, although we reminded them when we boarded the morning boat. When we returned from lunch for the afternoon dive, we learned that the other divers scheduled for the Duane trip had not shown up. If we had been on the manifest as expected they could have tried to sweet talk us into going out on the other boat to dive reefs instead. But by the time the mistake was discovered the other boat had already left.

The two of us ended up getting a private trip to the Duane. We had a boat which usually takes 20 or more passengers all to ourselves. We ended up drift diving the Duane - down the stern line, across the wreck at a leisurely pace in the direction of the current, back up the bow line. It was awesome and easy.

I was in shock when they told us that they were going to run the trip just for us. But it was the right thing to do from a customer service perspective. It completely neutralized the disorganization of the previous days.

Raviepoo, thanks for your comments and info. Since it was a holiday weekend, we totally expected crowded boats, but, it was really the disorganization between the office and boats that frustrated us, and not the number of divers onboard. I've got a friend who's been to Kelly's 3 times last year, and the group we went with is on their 10th year with Kelly's. We were a bit surprised that a 10yr group who, over the course of 10 days, brings in almost 30 divers (all staying onsite for at least 4 nights, some with non-diver partners and family) still had to jump through hoops to get on the same boat and had problems with not being on the manifest for the dives we'd signed up for, especially since they made such a big deal about going to the office and initialling what you'd signed up for for the next day. We're a friendly bunch and talked to lots of people over the 4 days who weren't with our group but were diving and on the boats and at the hotel. It made sense to all of us that if they had enough advanced divers to fill a boat, they should do that rather then having 2 full boats of all levels (and snorklers) and having to choose the sites based on the lower skills and comfort level. That would just make good business sense and probably result in a higher repeat rate. If they aren't going to split the boats according to levels, then why ask what your level is anyway?

But, we were there to dive and dive we did! My husband got in 15 dives in 4 days and I did 12 dives. The Spiegel and the Duane were perfect conditions. If we go back I'd like to do each dive a couple times. On the reefs we saw a great variety of fish and even a few things I've never seen before. Also liked diving on our own because we got to spend time where we wanted and got amazing photos without being rushed along with a group.

We'd been wanting to try out diving in the Keys and going with friends for July 4th was lots of fun (and great fireworks). I'd go again if I got a really good deal and made my own plans (no group) We aren't road trippers and the Keys just weren't that great a trip for the what we ended up paying with air, car, hotel, diving, food etc. to put it on next year's trip planning list.

Scubawife,
Your experience matches what we encountered 3-years ago. That's why we don't go back to Kelly's/Aquanuts. I did really like their boats but the staff is too much of a hassle.
Dive Safe,
Larry

scubawife once bubbled...
The office makes you initial that you're signing up for dives and makes a really big deal about it, however, in 4 days of diving, not once did the boat get the correct manafest. On a couple of afternoons this was a problem since they had full boats and we had to actually get a bit testy to get on, even though we'd signed up a day or 2 ahead for both AM and PM dives. The turnaround is ridiculous. You have about 30-45 min to eat, get geared up and get back on the boat. They are not set up well for divers who want to do more then 1 trip/day.

This question begs to be asked: How where they regarding ensuring everyone got back on the boat at the end of each dive?

deepstops once bubbled...
This question begs to be asked: How where they regarding ensuring everyone got back on the boat at the end of each dive?
Much better apparently than they did back in '99 when they left a couple out at sea overnight. Luckily they were near enough to a light tower to swim over and climb up for their long wait until a sailboat saw them next afternoon.

I guess when Kelley's say "be back on the boat in hour", they REALLY mean it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom