Jules and ???? in the Keys.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Say I am in Key Largo for a few days this winter and the weather blows out the ocean diving. But I want to dive anyway and I have a car. Almost anything beats a cold NC quarry during the winter. I know about Jules. Is there anything else if it is a multiday blowout? I have heard about some sort of quarry further south but am not sure if it is open for diving or if there is rental nearby. I and buddy would need tanks and weights.

Related question. Is there any diving on the west side of the keys? If so, where and how. I have heard of some sites west of Key West but not sure if they are sheltered from a blow from NE to S.

Prefer closer to Largo but beggers cannot be choosers and we drive over two hours to dive in NC.

Try cannon beach in pennekamp PKUPKU

Thanks. That looks viable. I checked and the dive shop at the park would rent us weights and tanks for a beach dive. We would have the other gear. I have no problem messing around in 20 ft of water. Good area maybe to do a muck dive.

I have no problem messing around in 20 ft of water. Good area maybe to do a muck dive.

Ther are a lot of exceptional "Muck Dives" in the Keys. Most are not advertised, <20', and hold a lot of Bugs. My favorite shore dive in the keys is literally 15' max......I used to use it as a secondary deco stop on my way home from the dock, breathing O2 and slaying bugs.

A NE wind will blow out Key West if there is enough E to make the reefs rough. Winds out of the NE around 60 degrees will do so. Problem is, the wind out of the north (preceding the NE) stirs up the nearshore waters and blows it on to the reef, so it may be calm enough to dive, but you won't see anything.

Steve_C, it is not likely we will get blown out for multiple days. Operators go in 6 - 8 seas. Those days, the deeper wrecks are the best as they get out of the surge. A few days ago we had 5 - 7 seas but zero current and 100'+ of viz. The ride out wasn't pleasant but the conditions are worth it.

Understand, but what can I say but I am not a fan of 5-7 ft seas. I can dive them but don't feel the need to. I have dove the Duane and the Spiegel. Enjoyed the dives. But this trip is with a buddy not interested in the deep dives (or rough water). We both are looking for longer NDLs and to mess around with our cameras looking at coral, little creatures and fish of all types.

So after two nice dives in Molasses on Friday the 20th we let the winds win on Saturday. So we tried Canon Beach. Rented from the shop at the park. Our baseline was it better than our local quarry.

The one thing we did not count on was the cold snap made the water 59 degrees. My computer said 60. We had wetsuits and hooded wests so we did a dive. Enjoyed it. Beat the quarry. Lots of the upside down jellies in different colors. Sharp nose puffers. Hogfish. Lizardfish. Big school of parrot fish, number of lobster, pygmy file fish, something big that we did not identify. Viz 10-12 ft. Enjoyed the dive. Would be even more fun in 70 degree water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom