Journal for week starting June 11th to June 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-punk:
Well, now I've really gone and done it (sorry, I grew up in Pennsyltucky)... Today I registered for a sprint distance triathlon in September. 650m swim, 24km bike and 5km run. I can't imagine that I will do very well, but then again, 3 months ago I wouldn't have imagined that I would have even considered it seriously. Now I have to train for it. It's not about flushing the entry fee, but now I am officially accountable to all of you fine Scubaboarders :)

Ultimate goal is to finish, but not coming in last place would be the coolest :wink:

-Frank

Hey Frank - Congrats!!!! One of my lifelong goals has been to try one of these. I can do the swim, I can do the bike, I could probably train to walk/run the run, but all on the same day??? :) Good on ya for taking the leap.

If you haven't seen it, there's a pretty good website called trinewbies.com that has some training regimens for various distances, including sprint distances.

Someday maybe I'll try one. Of course I'l be in the Clydesdale division :)

Chris

Congratulations, Frank! I couldn't even make Chris' Clydesdale team!

I had a horrible weekend. Every day was going to be a new day but by the end something had come along to sidetrack me. I haven't stepped on the scales, 'fraid too! But I don't have that Losin' Feeling!

Tomorrow will tell.....

I am so frustrated! I had a good weekend and a great week last week. I have been really careful, I have been taking my lunch to work, drinking water, and I worked out 4 days last week for 45 minutes each time.

I weigh on Monday evenings at WW and I GAINED! I had been following my weight on my scales and theirs, I usually will check on mine the morning of WW day. Now, I know that my eyes were way off because I saw a loss of 3 lbs. So when I just got home from WW I weighed myself on my scales and darned if they did not match theirs, with me up 1.8 lbs! Yikes, this is not fair. I am working so hard, I have not been cheating, and I even feel lighter.

Got to rethink things and get motivated here. Anyone got any wisdom to share??

I know the feeling! PM on the way...

All I can say is eco Cameron's post that the process is not linear. Some up, some down, seemingly without any connection to reality...

It IS frustrating though.

My check in.....
B fast - 1/2 ounce flank steak, strawberry cereal bar
snack -0 apple.... maybe :)
lunch - smoothie and vegan cookie
dinner - chicken breast brown rice, salad
dessert - lo car bar (and maybe a cutie too :^) )

exercise - swam 3000 yds

Chris

You just don't know how frustrating. I want ever so badly to atleast break through into the next level of weight. ie. get below example 140's to 130's range. I feel like I am stuck in the movie Goundhog's Day!

I have been hovering now in the same 5 lbs range for months.
I am beginning to think that it is not meant for me to be at the ideal goal range for my Ht and age.

I will say that just to make me feel some better I weighed again this morning, dressed the same (after eating breakfast) and was 2lbs less than yesterday evening. Since my scales and WW were the same I would say I am 2 lbs less today.
I know that there is always a difference in morning and evening and that I will have those fluctuations day to day, but it did help me feel some better. Just that on my WW record I had a gain.

Sometimes I think it is a conspiracy to keep you coming and paying them, only thing is I verified that wt. on my own scales. So, I can't say that was the case.

Anyhow, I am off to the pool at 10:30 to do my aerobics classs. Gotta just keep on, because atleast I am feeling in better shape and I know that this will only make my diving better too!

Cindy, if you've only been using the scales to measure your progress, I think you're doing yourself an injustice. For $20, you can get a decent set of skin fold calipers. Use those in conjunction with the scale for a really good idea of what your body is doing. I have a spreadsheet to use for entering things in like your weight, age and 4 simple measurements. The other thing I would recommend doing, and this might be the hardest thing you do, is to take front, back and profile pictures of yourself once a month. It is truly amazing so see progress like that. Remember, you look at yourself every day. That reprograms your image of yourself on a daily basis. When you get the 'elapsed time photography' view, you really notice it. Be very proud of what you've done for yourself. Most of us never get that far.

Remember that lean muscle is much denser than adipose tissue. If you feel lighter and stronger, it's because you are! Remember, the more lean muscle that you have, the more fat your body will burn at rest :)

I hope that helps.
-Frank

Yep, Clydesdale - that's me. I entered as a first timer. If I ever do it again, I would enter as a big dog :) I'm cutting my 12 week program 2 weeks short to start extending my cardio sessions (mostly running, that's my weakest 'event') in order to get more endurance. The cycling is nailed and the swim isn't that bad. Imagine my joy when I realised I misread the distance of the cycling - 24km, not 24 MILES! Think N.A.S.A. will hire me? :) BTW Chris, thanks for the website, I'll look at it! I need all the help I can get.

On a sad note, I got a new scale last night becuase even though I've enjoyed seeing the scale go into a downward spiral, I haven't quite trusted it. So I got a Tanita electronic scale with a 440 pound limit. That more than covers me. Well, can you believe the thing says that I weigh 30 pounds more than the other scale? WTF? Talked about being bummed out. Like getting a kick in the head for Christmas :) Well, I was more bummed about not feeling like I have any idea about what kind of progress I've made, embarassed that I've been quoting the other scale as gospel, and in general - yuck. But, I've also been taking pictures and taking skin fold measurements. I have been making progress regardless what the scale says. So, what to do now? Start over. No big - 18 hours later, I think I'm over it. Whew. I feel better already.

-Frank

scuba-punk:
Well, now I've really gone and done it (sorry, I grew up in Pennsyltucky)... Today I registered for a sprint distance triathlon in September. 650m swim, 24km bike and 5km run. I can't imagine that I will do very well, but then again, 3 months ago I wouldn't have imagined that I would have even considered it seriously. Now I have to train for it. It's not about flushing the entry fee, but now I am officially accountable to all of you fine Scubaboarders :)

Ultimate goal is to finish, but not coming in last place would be the coolest :wink:

-Frank

Wow! Good luck on the triathlon. I don't think I could even make it in last. That would be so cool. Let us know. I'm sure you'll make it!!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom