Join me Friday, October 9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Friday Monterey Express dive sounds good too. I didn't realize they had Friday dives.

They are just now starting to offer weekday dives. I think it's an experiment. The 9am boarding time makes it sound reasonable even from the north bay area where I live.

Have you seen this website : Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California North, USA West

Don't you need reservations for Pt. Lobos ????

I had used that site quite a while ago, but I forgot about it. I need to add it to my bookmarks. Thanks for the reminder. :)

As pacificgal mentioned, we usually can get in to Lobos during the week without reservations. That's what got me started diving Fridays. Now it just works out best for my childcare so I generally plan to dive on a Friday.

I just made a reservation on the Monterey Express for the 10/9 dive. My nephew will be down visiting from SF on the weekend so the Friday boat dive doesn't interfere with my family stuff.

Still 17 spots open . . .

After discussions with my dive buddy, we've decided to dive Pt Lobos this Friday, October 9 (conditions permitting). We'll probably depart San Jose around 7:15 and expect to arrive at the Lobos gate around 8:30 or so.

We've not decided the full plan yet. Likely we'll swim out to Granite Point Wall, descend, then follow the wall out and around its point and try to come back on the back side through the channels. We've done both sides of the wall but haven't yet connected at the point. Depth out there is around 75'.

Another possibility is to explore the area around Lone Metridium, and possibly out towards Sea Mount. There is a small sand bowl which we've enjoyed in the past. I think it is southwest of Lone Metridium, but we haven't yet figured out exactly where the bowl is in relation to the Lone Metridium. (Too often we are surprised to see the Lone Metridium and then have to say "Oh, that's where we are." My buddy has started to wonder if there is more than one.) :) Depths run 50'-75'.

Anyone else planning to dive Lobos Friday? Anyone want to join us?

So while I highly suggest going to Monastery with someone experienced with the site for the first time (as the entry/exit can be deadly) assuming the waves are no more than knee high using common sense and not stopping in the surf zone should get you most of the way. That aside keep your reg in and mask on for entry and exit there.

Otherwise S Monastery which is literally the south end is more protected usually, but requires decent navigation to make your way around, as you end up going around the point.

N Monastery isnt as protected, but Nav can be pretty easy... it does get deeper faster here so watch your depth. Basically if the kelp/rocks are on your right you are going out, and if they are on your left you are going in. There is a lot of cool stuff to see in the shallows under the kelp too, just keep an eye on the compass.

Brandon,

Thanks for your note. I've read some good guides to diving Monastery here in SB and elsewhere. I feel like I'm about ready to try it on our own if the conditions are right. But we're really not in a hurry to dive there.

I imagine if we don't join with someone who knows the site sometime in the next year, then we'll probably try it on our own. I'll just make sure we're as well read and prepared as we can be. (I need to go find those guides again and save them. :search: )

I'll also note that I'm still sub-100 logged dives. I've read enough to know that I'm in the danger zone of having enough experience to be confident without enough experience to fully appreciate the dangers or risks of a given situation. :shark:

My regular dive buddy has about 160 dives (and DM training/experience). He serves me well as an anchoring force. But, sometimes I can be quite persuasive. I'm trying hard to not do that with Monastery (or any other safety situation, actually). It doesn't help that we drive by it every time we go to dive Lobos. :wink:

Sounds like all the dive boats have cancelled tomorrow so we're going to dive Lovers Point. The vis has been decent there while not good at the breakwater. We hope to be there at 9.

We're on track for diving Lobos Friday. fisheater is planning to join us for the first dive. Maybe we'll see some others from ScubaBoard. We expect to be there a bit before 9:00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom