John and Jacket Sizing - Henderson Thermaxx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkenney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new wetsuit this season, and the Henderson Thermaxx caught my eye. I'm looking to go with a John and Jacket for easy use during the summer dive season (instead of dealing with a full suit or my drysuit during warm months). My issue is my LDS is a Henderson dealer, but doesn't carry these products (they can get them, but since they'd be considered "special order" the sale would be final, regardless of issues like sizing), and I'm concerned about sizing. I fit into the Thermxx 5mil fine, but I'm looking for a 7mil. My questions are:

1. How true to size is the comparison between 5mil and 7mil Henderson products? My current 7mil is an O'Neil, and that's a 2xl same as the Henderson 5mil I tried on. Does anybody think the size comparison would be somewhat comparable?

2. When I buy the jacket, should I order the same size? Or should I go up a size to accommodate the 7mil of neoprene?

My last option is to showroom another dive shop for sizes and then order through mine (I get a discount), but given the market I'd feel kinda crappy about doing that to a dive shop...Best Buy is another story...

I've never liked hearing that anything with a fit concern has a no return policy, but that's between you and your LDS. Usually jackets and bottoms are sized to fit together. Traditionally O'Neill suits are rather stretchy as they're made for the surfer market which requires added mobility. So with that in mind, I'm inclined to recommend that you go up a size from your O'Neill as Henderson...while stretchy aren't traditionally as stretchy as an O'Neill.

I loved the henderson therm as well but in the end I went with the Bare elastik 7mm, and I purchased the 7mm step in vest/hood for use in the winter (I live in Canada). The step in hood has kept me warm for 40 minute/30 foot dives in approx 5 degree water temperatures. I would recommend it to anybody.

It might be another option for you to consider.

Back
Top Bottom