Jingle diver, Jingle diver, Jingle all the.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the spring fin straps. Apollo Bio Tank Lock so I never have a tank slip. Suspenders so I never have a weight belt slip.

But I will say that bungeed compass and computer are as well as the spring straps are great practical gear for anybody IMO.

My compass is in my console, my computer is hose mount and my fins are full foot; I guess you would say I'm not being practical. :rofl3:

I think you need to change your statement to "...are great practical gear for dry suit divers who dive where they might have to abandon tank/reg/BC to make it back to a shore they can't see." :idk:

Last year I bought some new gear; Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 5 mm, Oceanic EOS/FDX10, Nocturnal Lights SLX 800t and two Asahi 120 cft's! Even at the best discounts a working instructor on Maui could find, that's ~$1,400! Considering the fact that in Hawaii a full rental set w/tank is ~$40 (24 hours), w/~$4 additional tanks, that could easily mean a cost of ~$25 or less per dive for a diver who owns no gear; $1,400 = upwards of 600 shore dives! :coffee:

The most practical piece of dive gear is a cert card from a good instructor! :popcorn:

I want to know what you consider the most practical dive gear you own. And why you consider it practical.

Last edited:
I think every person diving in the ocean should have an SMB. Slates are really unnecessary, IMHO, since my brother and I go over hand signals and know what each one means prior to making them up along the way underwater. If something is so urgent that you can't signal it- you probably need to call the dive anyway.

Do you have stock in an SMB manufacturer? How often do you use your SMB?

Most dive leaders in Hawaii's ocean only take an SMB on dives that call for an SMB; drift dives where we use the SMB. We will just dive somewhere else if a non drift dive looks like it needs an SMB!

I take and use my slate on every group/buddy dive except OW training dives; OW students need to work on hand signals. A slate is pretty practical, except on solo dives. :D

halemanō;5184484:
I think you need to change your statement to "...are great practical gear for dry suit divers who dive where they might have to abandon tank/reg/BC to make it back to a shore they can't see."

I would say that I do not need to change my statement to anything other than what I have already typed. But thanks for your input none the less.

Christmas tree divers-

-I want to know what you consider the most practical dive gear you own. And why you consider it practical......

Spring straps for my Jet fins. Easier "on and off".
Bungied octo, "longish" primary (currently 48", routed underarm, with elbow fitting).

Don't carry much of anything on a typical dive, I'm a "less is more" kind of guy.

My D-rings are often quite lonely :wink:

Best wishes.

Here's what I like...

1- compass - use almost every dive to check my heading before heading out from entry/exit point. If I get separated, I can always use reciprocal heading and time to get back (close at least).

2- p-valve - 'nuff said

3- +n on the spring straps - whether doing boat, shore or entry steps makes don/doffing fins much easier

Happy Diving!

my father was a christmas tree diver thinking that he needed everything from a retractable line or spring clip on his BCD.

Took me 3 years to convince him otherwise. Now he is clean and clear and using a lot less air to keep up with me. :)

I guess I never really considered why people seem to think everything has to be "hanging" out on their BCD. I have done everything I could to minimize my profile in the water and reduce drag. It helps my air consumption and prevents accidental catching or snags if I am too low and pick up the occasional fishing line.

I don't carry much of anything but I do like a finger spool and sausage---sometimes.

N

halemanō;5184601:
SS, why do you consider those three items "practical?"

Gladly.....but you have to promise to tell me why you believe they are NOT practical (remember that just because you do not use them does not mean they are not practical for divers). I am on the edge of my seat :shakehead:

Fin straps - make putting on fins much easier in many applications such as surf or when carrying a camera or dive flag

Bungee - this does not matter if it is a bottom timer, a compass or a computer - a bungeed wrist mount item is much easier to put on in most if not all environments (when compared to the non-bungeed wrist mount items) and is just as secure......FYI I have seen a large number of wetsuit divers that use bungeed mounts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom