Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the stuff I can teach. Just like diving, you'd be amazed what you can do if you take it a step at a time :wink:!

No way, I am sorry, But that is one thing I am afraid of!!

I love to climb the Fake rock walls with a Bailie But that is as far as I think I could ever go, Just looking at that picture of yours showing the straight down drop gives me the creeps!!

No kidding, Jim - The first words that came to mind when I saw those pictures were: ****** THAT!

And I'm not afraid of heights, but that just gives me the heebie jeebies.

You'd be amazed what the mind can do. As long as the walls are vertical - it's as though that's your ground and you dont' feel very high at all. Problem is when you hit a ledge where you can stand after days with nothing under your feet, you really feel "up there", or when you drop something and remember gravity and you are reoriented back the "right way" - your new vertical reality becomes unseated & you get a sense of your height.

I loved 300-2,000 ft high climbs, actually I have to admit I was naturally more comfortable there, than in water. I loved the exposure - no fear unless the moves got really tricky or weather rolled in.

But one time I felt dizzy vertigo while climbing on day 7 of a 10 day wall when we hit ledges after 5 days of smooth slightly overhanging wall. It was pretty hard to climb while fighting the feeling that came from gazing down the slightly overhanging walls of El Cap in Yosemite which stretched out 2,500 - 3,000 ft below (that's over 1/2 a mile!).

It was kind of a crazy expereince. But not really that different from dropping down to mild narc depths in the deep bottomless blue next to a steep underwater wall :wink:.

Ya....

But in the deep blue, I can't fall that very scary drop to.....

I understand what you are saying Kathy , But I really don't think I could Handel that, I think it would scare me into Cardiac arrest:D

No kidding, Jim - The first words that came to mind when I saw those pictures were: ****** THAT! And I'm not afraid of heights, but that just gives me the heebie jeebies.

Its funny, heights for me are easier than deep water and current, feels more predictable.

Last edited:
No kidding, Jim - The first words that came to mind when I saw those pictures were: ****** THAT!

And I'm not afraid of heights, but that just gives me the heebie jeebies.

No Kidding Buddy, I think I would Freeze and they would (if they got me up there) Have to come and remove me ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom