Jetty Diving: Tips, times, hazards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have never been diving on Jettys. I see alot of discussion about it and this summer it will probably be an option for shore diving.

I'm looking for tips, best tides, things to look out for, hazards, etc.

I can imagine there are quirks to every set of jettys, but I would also think there are some similarities too.

Thanks yall,

TwoBit

The only two hazards that really come to mind are fish hooks and surge. If you enter when the water is fairly calm and no fishermen on the rocks it can be a great dive. There is always lots of life clinging onto the rocks of a jetty. Navigation is easy too. Going out, the jetty is on one side of you. Coming back, it's on the other. Here in SoCal the jetties are excellent lobster dives with short swims.

Another thing to consider when diving a jetty, depending on where you are, is current. Sometimes you can have a protected area alongside the jetty, but when you get to the end of it, the current hits you with force. Sometimes the direction of water movement is affected by the jetty, so you get paradoxical flows (current ebbing, but water alongside the jetty moving the other direction). A good site description should include those considerations.

TwoBitTxn:
I have never been diving on Jettys. I see alot of discussion about it and this summer it will probably be an option for shore diving.

I'm looking for tips, best tides, things to look out for, hazards, etc.

I can imagine there are quirks to every set of jettys, but I would also think there are some similarities too.

Our jetties here in Destin have a few quirks to watch out for:
  • As others have said tides are critical. Most jetties are where a large concentration of water is moving in and out of a small pass. In our local case a falling tide pulls brown water out and visibility is horrible...a high tide brings in new, clean water from the Gulf of Mexico...great visibility
  • Boats...many jetties are located on main navigation channels. Diver down flags and making sure current does not pull you in to the channel is critical.
  • Fisherman PAST and PRESENT: PAST, old line, hooks, cast nets and gear are usually found around the jetties. Not a major problem but don't dive the jetties without a good knife and set of sheers. Fishermen PRESENT, they are sometimes not sympathetic to the guys diving below "messing up" their fishing. Staying close to the rocks is the best defense because most fisherman are casting out so as not to get hung up on rocks.
  • Making sure you evaluate the currents direction. Ideally, try to swim with the current on the way back in...sure is nice to do a drift dive back in then trying to struggle against a current. Watch air consumption when you know you have to swim back against the current.
  • Do a two tank dive. On the first dive cover as much ground as you want too. Go out to the point if possible and around to the inside of the jetties if possible. On the second dive, don't let people push you to cover to much ground...go slow, and explore the nooks in between the rocks. Bring a light even during the day. You will miss so many interesting critters if you don't go slow and explore with a light. Exploring the rocks is the BEST part of diving the jetties.
Those are few things that come to mind...hope you have a GREAT time!

Here in Oregon, most of our "best" salt water dives are jetties. It is VERY important to watch for high/slack tides, as diving any other time of the day will promote your quick removal into the pacific ocean or up the siuslaw river.

Our jetty in Florence (the first and only dive park in Oregon!) runs east/west, which means that contrary to the usual dive pattern, in which you would start your dive into the current in order to drift back, we actually follow the incoming tide east, and then catch the slack/high tide turn to drift back to the exit point. This can sometimes be a bit of planning in order to hit the timing right... and there is always the chance that you don't have it right. I recommend saving plenty of air for the swim back if you happen to need to move against a current.
Also- be careful of fisher people and crabby crab people. Crab people really think that divers are after their loot... try to stay away from crab or lobster pots unless you like people yelling at you.

Have fun!

TSandM:
Another thing to consider when diving a jetty, depending on where you are, is current. Sometimes you can have a protected area alongside the jetty, but when you get to the end of it, the current hits you with force. Sometimes the direction of water movement is affected by the jetty, so you get paradoxical flows (current ebbing, but water alongside the jetty moving the other direction). A good site description should include those considerations.
I agree wholeheartedly. Just dove keystone jetty for the first time (whidbey island, washington) and the currents can really get moving. when timed properly it can be the greatest dive ever, as my buddy and i found out. still, even with proper timing, the currents at the end of the jetty get a little funky and it's easy to see how one could be swept quickly into the path of an oncoming ferry boat. I'm a newbie, but i'd definitely reccomend some type of signaling device, be it safety sausage or an air horn or even your dive light and waving fins above your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom