Jettie Diving Panama City Beach/Destin ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corky

Reaction score
I am wanting tips/advice for diving the jetties in Panama City or Destin. Have made about 75 boat dives, however never any shore dives. Have read it is best to dive during "slack tide"? Any advice/information would be most welcome. Thanks!

Find out when high tide will occur and dive within 2 hours of it. :) Anything past it will give you a good chance for getting to Cuba.

Corky,
Supr is dead right about the currents in the channel at the jetties !!!!!
Your best diving will be on the channel side of the jetty located at St. Andrews St. Park. Go to the north end of the jetty to access the channel.
I would recommend wearing some kind of exposure suit due to the sudden appearance of jelly fish. A lycra skin is sufficient.
Take a light. Looking inside the recesses in the rocks one can occasionally find an octopus.

Safe diving and WATCH OUT FOR THE CURRENT!!!!

Corky - just noticed you were from Alabama. You can dive the jeddies at Perdido Pass(Orange Beach, AL) and Ft Pickens(Pensacola, FL) as well. There are also a few shore-dive ranged shipwrecks in the Gulf Shores/Pensacola area.

www.saltwatertides.com for tidal conditions.

My better half and I are new divers and we were certified at the jetties last month. We have made a few dives there since then. If its any help we will be going down there on the 17th and 18th for our AOW and nitrox class. The dive shop that we belong to is doing another certification dive that weekend. So there will be instructors and dive masters who have dove there many times before. They are more than helpful, and its a chance to dive with folks who dive there a lot.

I'll be there at 6AM-6:30AM Saturday(7/10) if anyone cares to dive the jeddies. :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Corky - just noticed you were from Alabama. You can dive the jeddies at Perdido Pass(Orange Beach, AL) and Ft Pickens(Pensacola, FL) as well. There are also a few shore-dive ranged shipwrecks in the Gulf Shores/Pensacola area.

www.saltwatertides.com for tidal conditions.
Hey sup can you give some info some of this beach-range wreck to dive your talking about and what do you know about spearfishing this Jetties your talking about in Bama

The Wreck is called the Whiskey Wreck, its a 200+' Whiskey Runner. Sounds big eh? Not anymore :) Its been broken up by several hurricanes and it now lies mostly below the sand. I dove it 2 weeks ago at night and it has one side of its hull protruding above the sand about 5-6'. There is one long section of hull with a high point, a few beams jutting out the side and into the sand, some wreckage along the sides, about 50' long. There is another large piece of wreckage about 25' East of the longer portion with some kind of shaft coming out of a large roundish portion of wreckage. The wreck has been there since the late 1800s, so it is quite weathered. The amount of wreckage protruding from the sand can vary from week-to-week. I've seen it as low as 2-3' out the sand to 7-8' out the sand. I normally dive this site atleast once a week, last week was missed due to weather conditions. We'll be out there tonight to pop a few flounder with any luck. I had pictures, but they were lost when my server lost my info and deleted my site(D'Oh).

The jeddies at Alabama Point are fair game for spear-fishing as long as you have an Alabama Spear-Fishing Liscense. You can get one in Gulf Shores at the Marine Fisheries Commerce place, which is near the airport. They will cost like $6-7 if you live in AL - not sure of out-of-state and they are good for a full year, but their fishing year starts in Oct. You can get one for even cheaper for just a day, but who cares at $6 :)

Back
Top Bottom