Jetstream 3960 high pressure leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rsingler hit the nail on the head and it saved a bunch of my first stages from needing piston replacements. Well worth it if to get the micromesh if you have multiple first stages but if you only have one, then the replacement bullet is a good call.

If you're going to replace that valve piston anyway, try this:
Get some green Scotch-brite abrasive pad (the stiffer one).
Wrap the valve piston in a little slip of paper and gently grab it in a handheld drill motor.
The paper will keep you from scoring it (causing a balance chamber oring leak).

Cut a 1/2" by 1" rectangle of Scotch-brite and fold it.

While spinning the valve piston (spin it first to check that it's centered),
grab the cone of the valve piston with the Scotch-brite and squeeze the cone tip.
It should shine up nicely.

Clean the piston in soapy, then clean water and dry.
Reassemble and see if your IP creep has improved.

Green scotch-brite isn't as slick as 4,000-6,000 grit Micromesh, but it may smooth out the sandblasting that's so common on the valve piston where the airflow bends around the corner to go down the hole in the HP seat. That turn is where the grit impacts the cone and scores it.

I've polished the valve piston. In an effort to be thorough, I dismantled the regulator, and found that the teflon washer had disintegrated into 4 pieces. I don't know if that could have been the problem, but I'm going to give everything a good cleaning and reassemble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom