Jets vs. Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need the Turtles and find the foor pocket slightly big, the spring straps help make them fit a little more snugly if you get the right size. This from personal experience.

Spring starps are easier to put fins on and take them off. Especially in the water.

Spring Straps don't break as easily as rubber straps. I have not had the SP straps break, but I have seen several broken by friends. If you are lucky enough to break a rubber strap under water, God help you trying to replace it right then and there. Your dive is pretty much done. Not something I would want to happen if I was in a place where that was not an option.

Other than that, its up to the individual. The 5thD version is the best and most comfortable I have tried and it costs about $45. Not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the Halcyon version.

They also make you look cool.

Walter once bubbled...
No adjustments are necessary with the rubber straps. The rubber straps last for years. No one has been able to explain any reason why I should switch to spring straps. They don't seem to be cost effective.

Just put my spring straps on yesterday. VERY sturdy. And much easier on and off, (out of the water anyway).:D

Haven't had a chance to use them yet.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
He had his drysuit to to fit them before he had to ship it out for alterations...

Thank you Scoobie.:D

And you can try them on with sneakers too.=-)

taat2d once bubbled...

I ordered them from a guy on ebay. He makes them himself. I heard a lot of good things about his spring straps on here. And he was VERY accomodating. I need them by this weekend and he sent them out for he priority mail for no extra charge.

I have purchased spring straps from Halcyon, FifthD and from a guy on ebay in the following order:

1) My ebay spring straps needed better tubing as the stuff they came with was aweful! It was pretty stiff and kinked in all the wrong places which resulted in a very poor fit and uncomfortable. They had slightly larger OD springs than the others so finding replacement tubing was a challenge. Luckily I work in R&D for medical diagnostics and was able to obtain a free sample of the perfect tubing without too much effort. I heard others that have no issues with the tubing on theirs so his supply of tubing may not be consistent from batch to batch? The attachment hardware was pretty good - could have had slightly better wires - but not really an issue for me. These do have heavy cave line to prevent overstretching the springs - a definite must have feature so kudos to the seller for that (Manta spring straps don't have this feature). Also, the cost was low enough that it justified any "after-market" modifications. An ok way to go if you're not sure about how you will like them.

2) The Halcyon one's are most expensive and are very high quality. They use same attachment hardware as ScubaPro Jet Fins which may require special tools for permanent attachment - may need to "flare" the ends of the pins so they don't come off inadvertently. The springs are only covered by a nylon material which might not be as comfortable as those covered by plastic tubing. I have yet to try these on a dive as they are on my "tropical" pair of jet fins. Soon to be tested in warm tropical water - I hope!.

3) The FifthD one's are also very well constructed and use simple attachement hardware (similar to ebay source but better wire) and have very soft and flexible tubing over the springs. They have very sturdy cave line to prevent overstretching. They are also available in many sizes. More expensive than ebay, less than Halcyon. All in all I prefer these.

I sure do appreciate how much easier it is now to don and doff my jet fins when bundled up in a drysuit and thick undergarments! For awhile one jet fin strap was a bit too tight after a buddy helped me by tightening them for me while I was already in the water in my dry gloves:( After that I needed my buddy to take that fin off of me - how embarassing! Now with the spring straps I can do it myself again :D

taat2d once bubbled...
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Jets an Turtles? Pros and cons to each.
I have used both. The Turtles have a much larger foot pocket, especially in width. The Jets are slightly more powerful as the rubber is a bit stiffer and there is less slop around the foot pocket. Get the Jets if you can manager to stuff your feet into them.
Why is it so important to use spring straps? Do the straps that come with them have a tendency to fail?
The rubber straps will occasionally break. It is harder to pull them off with cold and stiff fingers at the end of a long dive. The ends of the rubber straps stick out and can catch on stuff (unless you duct tape them down, which looks stupid).

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom