Kubi Dry Gloves vs. Santi Smart Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving on a DUI suit, my experience: I had a locking glove system on my DUI suit for ages and it was bulky and cumbersome and the gloves had little dexterity. I finally took it off after a decade of use. Now for the couple of dives a year I want to be hands-dry then I use zipgloves. The rest of the time it's zipseals and neoprene (wet) gloves. But I don't dive winter/ice, my coldest temps are in the 45°F/7°C range.

I had Kubis previously; I now have the Santi system on one suit, and the PSI system (an aluminum knockoff of the Rolocks) on my other suit.

I like the Santi system the most, mostly because the flexible/soft rubber ring is the least bulky and doesn’t mess with lights or scooters.

The Kubo system is nice, but I actually think aluminum is a worse option than plastic for suit rings (colder, more annoying with lights/scooters).

Ultimately, I’d go with the Santi system if you have a Santi suit, and the Rolock system if you have a suit with SiTech QCS inserts.

That only makes it popular not factual. Popularity isn’t necessary to prove that RoLock is better :wink:

Good enough for me either way!

KubI:
+ small, doesn't cover all your wrist
+ unbreakable
- can get off underwater
- fitting Showa's quite tricky
SmartGloves:
+ unbreakable
+ does not get off underwater
- bulky
- lubricate them every dive otherwise might get out of the sleave when donning
- difficult to see if it is correctly fitted
- fitting Showa's quite tricky
I've dove both of them pretty extensively. I agree with everything he wrote except for Kubi you can get different size rings, I find with heated gloves and my big wrist the Santi rings can get a bit tight and uncomfortable vs the Kubi because there are 4 different ring sizes available for the Kubi.

Kubis need to be lubed frequently too otherwise they'll be really hard to take off, but if you lube them to much they pop off underwater.

Overall I'd pick the Santi system.

I've noted some talk about the challenges involved in using Showa gloves with any of these systems. I was using the 720 blue nitrile gloves for a while, and ya, they're a cast-iron bitch to fit on the Kubi glove rings. Same goes for the 660s or any of the other smurf gloves. I was using the heavy textured black latex gloves for a while, and I managed to prolong their lifespan by spraying them with 303, but they've come to the end of their useful life. Can't speak to any of the other systems.

If you're not married to Showa, you can try the grey Chemstop 3030 neoprene ones. They're considerably easier to fit on the rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom