Jets vs. Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound:
I am also a SP jet user and I agree with everyone. They are the best fins I have ever used.I would like to know how they compare to pivoting blade fins, i.e mares volo family (dacor tiger, sherwood kinesis etc). If I ever replace them it would be for these

I would'nt bother, they don't compare to the flexabilty (of jets) in fining styles.

Looks that the verdict is in. You cant compare the rockets to the Jets which have proven themselves over decades.

It's like comparing apples to horses! The Jets are hands down better in every way.
Although they both have "ports" thats where the comparison stops. The jets are larger, and not as stiff as the rockets, and if you hold them up by the straps, you will find that you can see daylight through the ports in the rockets. The ports in the Jets have a deep passage in them to channel water through, and direct it back over the blade in only one direction. And effectively "closing" it off in the other. When a proper frog kick is done using them, you can actually feel the acceleration off the tip of the fin when it snaps back. Over the years, I have swapped out a LOT of gear for newer, and better. But the Jets stay right where they are! For me, nothing new has even come close to them in performance. Really quite amazing when you consider the 1965 birth date.

ScubaSarus:
You cant compare the rockets to the Jets which have proven themselves over decades.

Well, I'll stir the pot then.

So explain why the U.S. Military has been using/issuing Rockets for the last 50 years then instead of any other fin?

When the military has equipment made, it has to goes through a battery of tests, field trials, and it is a head to head competition to see who gets the contract. . . . .

The contract usually runs for 5-10 years, and then the process starts all over again. So going up against ScubaPro, Mares, etc for almost 50 years, and to still be king of the hill for all that time speaks volumes to me.

Just some food for thought.

I have Jets and Rockets and I like them both, but if someone put them on me without me knowing which was which, I don't think I would be able to tell.

Just my .02 :)

Lil' Irish Temper:
So explain why the U.S. Military has been using/issuing Rockets for the last 50 years then instead of any other fin?

When the military has equipment made, it has to goes through a battery of tests, field trials, and it is a head to head competition to see who gets the contract. . . . .

The biggest test a lot of military equipment goes through is the bottom line test. The company that gets the contract is either much cheaper, much better, or someone has buddied up with the decision maker. It is not always the best equipment that makes it through.

ProMed:
Snip...
It is not always the best equipment that makes it through.

Your absolutely right, that does happen. . . But as someone who worked in the Army Material Command, they do listen to the soldiers/sailors, and fix things that don't work. (ie fix it or we are voiding the 500 million contract)

I'm just saying..... You think the military is going to use something for 50 years that doesn't work, and not fix/change it? Even when they have the chance at the end of every contract period.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch or saying Rockets are a better product, use what works for you, just wanted to give folks something to think about. :D

I agree with Irish... I have used both and also now probably couldn't tell the difference. Now I have several pairs of USD Blades (original) and am very satisfied.

As far as DOD procurement, Irish is correct on that also. Money is important, but the supplies must work. No more spoiled beef scandals, please.

I dove Rockets for just about forever, starting in the early 1970's. I bought a pair of Jets last year. Can't say that I notice a lot of difference myself.

The jets are a bit longer. It's possible if I had more refined skills with various fin kicks I could tell a difference, but as it is, I'll happily use either.

Budget contraints ? :)

Please take it with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom