Jets v/s Turtels v/s Rockets v/s Rockets2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OUCH - size 10 boots in large jets would be very tight. You'll find the XL Jets to be a correctly sized foot pocket and a lot larger blade (read "more power" lol)

If you like the fins, I wouldn't worry too much about your leg muscles as they will adapt very quickly after just a few dives in them (though in the meantime they'll complain a lot)

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba has pictures of both the Large and XL Jets so you can compare the blade sizes.

Aloha, Tim

I looked at your link before I ordered. The big difference in length and width from L to XL was why I tried to push it and go for the smaller size. I like power, but control is more motivating for me. Any idea why there is such a big difference from L to XL?

Also, do you know if the OMS fins follow the same sizing rules?

I've not seen the OMS fins, so I can't comment on them - btw you still get very good control with the larger Jets. Of course some of don't have a choice - I can't even fit in the XL's :(

Hope you find a pair you like,

Tim

debitthis:
Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size so half way through the dive my feet really started to hurt from the squeeze. I have size 10 feet and used 3mm wetsuit boots. Large Jets are too small for me. The sizing chart on LP is alot closer to bare foot fit I think. I went bare foot on the second dive and they fit fine.

Although the weight is nice for standing me upright, If I go up to XL I think it might wear on me late in dives. I am going to try the OMS clones since they are supposedly made of lighter rubber.

I wear size 10 5mm boots and XL is my size. Kidspot has the size chart is helpful!!! :D

At first I was wishing I would be able to go with smaller size for better control. BUT later I heard many actually recommends to go with larger sizes. They said that the larger fin blades actually allow better finnings. I know some actually go with the size XL with real thick boots when their size is actually L.

Just something I understood differently.

Thanks wunat, I'm gald to have another voice saying that I am not crazy in thinking LG Jets are just too small.

Since my online Jet order didn't work out, and I really didn't want to add more fin weight by jumping to XL Jets, I decided to give OMS Slipstreams a try. Thank goodness I didn't just order them online too. My wife found a LDS (well relatively local) that just happened to have two pairs OMS SLipstreams in stock.
(Deborah at Surface Interval: You Rock!! )
With their help I discovered that XL Slipstreams are the same size as LG Jets. XXL Slipstreams are roughly the same size as XL Jets. And now I am the proud owner of a pair of XXL Slipstreams.

Soon the dive report. But for now the initial comparison: These fins are BIG just like XL Jets, but they weigh about 2 ounces less than my LG Jets. The 'monoprene' is definitely not as flexible as the Jet rubber so I wonder if I'll be able to talk about how they have lasted 20 years like Jet owners do. I'll post back on how they perform.

wunat:
I wear size 10 5mm boots and XL is my size. Kidspot has the size chart is helpful!!! :D

At first I was wishing I would be able to go with smaller size for better control. BUT later I heard many actually recommends to go with larger sizes. They said that the larger fin blades actually allow better finnings. I know some actually go with the size XL with real thick boots when their size is actually L.

Just something I understood differently.

What size springs do you have on those XL Jets?

I just bought a pair of XL's, with XL springs. I tried them on with size 11 5mil boots, and they feel pretty good...but I'm not sure if they're fitted correctly. i.e. the spring stretches a little bit...(maybe 1/4" to 1/2"),and the spring doesn't slide off over the heel, but they don't feel real snug either. Do yours feel snug? Thanks!

I have owned all the rubber mentioned over the years. I use Turtles for drysuit now. I sometimes wear Frogs with wetsuits.

Two weeks ago I started using SaekoDive rubber fins with XS Scuba spring straps.....I might very well take these on my next trip to Coz....

Ron

Turtles here , main reason is they fit my foot with a 5mm booty on.

I finally dove with my new XXL OMS Jetstreams. I really wish they had fit. I was using size 10 3mm booties and they seemed to be a liitle loose on the shore, but as soon as I entered the water they slipped all over my foot even with the strap tightened basically flat across the back. So all I have to report about is the 6 minutes I spent finning around while my wife on shore went to get my old fins from the car. These fins feel good as far as weight in the water, small movements feel solid, and frog kicks have excelent power. I wish I could just find a pair tat fits!

Try a size smaller, with the correct size spring strap. Maybe try them on in the store (get them wet first). It's too hard to get mine (XL Jets) on unless they're wet. They fit great in the water. Have to yank pretty hard to get them off. How they fit in the water is what counts though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom