jets too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi guys. a buddy gave me a pair of SP jet fins size XL. i find that by the third dive, the top of my foot (the bony part above, about where the arch is at the bottom) is bruised and painful. am wondering if I should be wearing a size L fin? i wear 3mm booties and foot size is 9-10M.

I would not be surprised if they are too big. My husband's feet are about the same size and I believe he uses a large when he wears a 5mm bootie. I would have to look when I get home but I might have a spare pair of large's that I would be willing to trade for the XL's. Not sure what shipping costs would be for the trade but I'm willing to ship to you if you're willing to ship to me.
Ber :lilbunny:

i believe it will be cheaper for both of us to get new ones than ship since I am in the philippines. thanks!

jigo,

From your description, were you doing flutter kicks? Cus these fins are pretty bad for them and I've got both L and XL for comparison and the XL is way stiffer. I really hate using the XL for anything other than frog kicks. Anyway, I'm a US 9.5 so I guess we are about the same in foot size and I fit a L fine if a little tight.

An L might be a good option for you as they are shorter and less stiff. I flutter in them fine.

SangP

I'll take Ber Rabbit offer if I were u since you got a pair free in the first place LOL!

You posted faster than I could type LOL!

Jets are excellent for flutter kicks.

I wear a size 9 and depending on which boots I wear, I switch between a L and an XL.

Walter,

That may be but I don't have the legs to flutter in an XL an L's ok for me though. However, my Apollos will beat them anyday in a flutter.

SangP

jigo:
hi guys. a buddy gave me a pair of SP jet fins size XL. i find that by the third dive, the top of my foot (the bony part above, about where the arch is at the bottom) is bruised and painful. am wondering if I should be wearing a size L fin? i wear 3mm booties and foot size is 9-10M.

I have size 9 (US) feet and XL works great for me.
Be aware the paddle size of the L is smaller than the XL and you might get less thrust from them.
Maybe thicker boots? What kind of kicks are you using? If you flutter kick, then I would expect your feet to hurt as the jets are quite heavy. Frog kick is much more efficient in these fins (in my opinion)

jigo:

First, make sure the straps aren't too tight. If they are, then they will pull the edges of the foot pockets hard against the top of your feet which can cause bruising when worn with thin wetboots. Second, you could try adding some padding. For example, you could wear regular sports socks in your wetboots, and even add some neoprene (cut from an old wetsuit or hood) underneath the socks, on top of the area that gets bruised. By the way, the jet foot pockets are know for being POS design and your problems with them are not unique to you alone.

Jets tend to be more expensive here than they are in the US, take a look at the IST version of the Jets, you should be able to find them for 2300-3000 PhP. They're sized for Asian feet so a L Jet should be an XL for IST.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom