Jetfin Alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are few options turtles slipstreams quattros dive rights

They are all different quatros are good for diving e
Wet but i found them inapropriate for the drysuit
Slipstreams i do not like this fin as its neutral and does not let you adjust the trim. Turtles are more stiff

SP is not a cult people love themas they are heavy and thestiffness is great they are not too stiff like turtles yet stiff enough to provide a good kick.

I dive turtles my wife dives SPs whenever i can i borrow hers
I djve quattros when i dive wetp

How about the Aqua Lung rocket fins.

I have a pair of USD Super Rockets and a pair of XL JetFins. In comparison, I find the Rockets stiffer and heavier than the Jets. I guess it's because of the reinforcing ribs that run the surface of the Rocket's blade.The Jets seem to have more flexibility and are a little easier on the legs.

no so good for back kicking

Interesting that you say that. I found the back kick easy with the Novas, but the frog kick was a bit weird.

I've been using the Dive Rite paddle fins -- they have great thrust, but I'm still not as good back-kicking with them as I am with my Jets.

I have a pair of USD Super Rockets and a pair of XL JetFins. In comparison, I find the Rockets stiffer and heavier than the Jets. I guess it's because of the reinforcing ribs that run the surface of the Rocket's blade.The Jets seem to have more flexibility and are a little easier on the legs.

I have both... I don't find that to be the case.

Nemrod did some independent testing here:

Right about 0.5, not quite as bad as wearing lead boots. About the only fins I can think of that sux as much as "Retro"-Rockets are the Dacor non Turbos.

Comparison of Jet Fin vs Rocket blade stiffness held at the same % of length.

Jet:

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Rocket:

DSCF0005-1.jpg

Do you think one of those fins is stiff like a 2X4?

N

And others probably won't either. It's just the way they felt to me. Might just be a difference in kicking style.

For a JetFin-like fin, check out the Hollis F1. I own these fins and love them, plus I have yet to read a single negative review about them. I previously owned the Mares Quattros and found that the F1's gave me noticably more precision, better trim, a more powerful flutter kick, and a frog-kick that was more powerful AND easier. Plus these fins look awesome, are well-made, have a comfortable foot pocket (something virtually nobody says about the Jetfin's) and come with an adjustable spring strap.

T

Slipstreams i do not like this fin as its neutral and does not let you adjust the trim.

well i use to dive with SP jets before but since i switch to OMS slips i never looked back (my jets are still here just in case i'd need them) the main thing i like about the slips is that they improve my trim, i am foot heavy so the neutral characteristic of the slips is to my advantage. but of course to each his own and for me the slips are the best.

well i use to dive with SP jets before but since i switch to OMS slips i never looked back (my jets are still here just in case i'd need them) the main thing i like about the slips is that they improve my trim, i am foot heavy so the neutral characteristic of the slips is to my advantage. but of course to each his own and for me the slips are the best.

Yeah it also depends if you dive wet or dry single or double tank, heavy fins like SP help a lot with doubles as you do not have much of the freedom in moving the tanks and playing with weights and they more often tend to be heavy in the front due to the manifold and extra reg. But I agree with you, one should choose what works the best for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom