Jet/Turtle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
I did a search and read a bunch of threads on the jet and turtle fins. However I have a few questions that the threads didn't answer, since most of them are a bit dated now.

I'm looking to get a set of one or the other in preparation for a DIRF class this summer. LP is selling both jets and turtles for $62 at the moment, so cost isn't really a factor. I like that price.

1) did you get the answers to your questions? I noticed that you posted the original question two months ago.
2) did you ask your DIR-F instructor for input? If so, what did s/he say?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jetfins are prefered over Turtles. Unlike Turtles, Jetfins are stiffer. Personally, I prefer my jets over my turtles. However, as many on the board have found, the XL jets do not fit my size 11 Whites drysuit boots. I dive jets (w/ spring straps) when wet and turtles when dry.

I may as well ask on this subject also - Yesterday I picked up a pair of XXL Jets the LDS ordered for me because the XL's were too small. I only dive wet - my size 13 boots left about 1 inch of play on all sides - Way too big. I put my tennis shoes on instead and they then fit (actually the best fit I got were my hunting boots). But I'd much rather dive with my comfy dive boots, instead of tennis shoes on. Is it confirmed that Turtles are in between XL and XXL Jets? (I have to order Turtles online)

On a good note, they were great for snorkeling as I could dive down a lot easier with the extra weight, but it's gonna take some time for my legs to build up to the stiffness (I've been using a very flexible pair of Velocity's) Also, while my legs got much more of a workout and threatened to cramp up a couple of times, they never did - I have ALWAYS gotten cramps in my feet and calves from every other type of fin I've worn before - this was a nice benefit.

Also has anyone drilled holes in the toes of their Jets to let air/water escape? Does this affect performance in any way? (I wouldn't think so, but might as well ask before I do so)

Tim

P.S. I've got some spring straps to put on my final choice, but till then I'm leaving them off.

kidspot:
Also has anyone drilled holes in the toes of their Jets to let air/water escape?
Don't do it! As I learned from the Pug, you'll want to be able to carry two nice foot-fills of water for rinsing. Very nice.

One of my friends mentioned that yesterday when we were rinsing gear off "makes a nice bucket of water for the dog to drink from doesn't it?" or something like that.I am liking them the more that I wear them, just seems funny walking into the water wearing my tennis shoes (though they are quite comfortable, I just wish I could find some cheap non-leather boots as the ankle support would be great, plus a lot less sand in with my feet)

Back
Top Bottom