Jet or not to Jet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always considered the flutter and scissor to be the same kick ... what's the difference between them?

I'd like to know the difference too. . .

Thanks,
Lilla

True story. The entire time I was trying them I hated them but knowing that there's always an adjustment period, wanted to make sure that I gave them a fair shake. When I switched back to my Mares it only took one dive for me to realize just how much better the performed for me. If anyone does try them out, I suggest that you do commit to using them for about 10 dives or so. I remember Walter & our friend Gar switching fins on a dive in the Flower Gardens. Walter, of course, had his Jets, Gar had split fins. The each came back with about 500 psi less than they typically consumed on dives to that depth & duration.

You say you went back to Mares. Is it Mares Quattro we are talking about? I never used that fin so I am thinking if anyone can give a comparison between Jets and Quattro

I do realize that there is a crowd out there who doesn't like this fin. When I went to the dive store I asked specifically for this fin and the lady who sold them said to her assistant "BRICKS! HE WANTS THE BRICKS." Then she turned around and said "Why dont you buy a decent fin like the ones we have on display?" I realized that the fin is not all that popular in some circles. She did get me the fin but wanted to know if I did dry suit or if I was Navy seal because commercial and military divers are the ones who generally look for this.

Because from the shops perspective:

Why sell you an $60.00 fin when you can buy these $150-200 fancy splits

:wink:

Everything about diving works better if you're in good shape.

Comments like THAT are why you can have the tagline "ScubaBoard Guru". :eyebrow:

Jet's rock!
I just wish they made a size between XL and XXL.
XL's are too small even with the slimmest bootie I can find. So what I did was made myself a pair of 6.5 mm socks and got a pair of the bulkiest booties I could find 2 sizes to big (so my feet with the socks would fit in comfy) Now the XXL's fit fine.

I also have a pair of XS scuba turtle fins. They are a bit shorter and wider but still are the same idea.

I also use long fins for freediving so doing a scissor kick is no problem for me with jets. But I found that if you overkick them you will wear yourself out. Instead, try moving your legs shallower but if you want to increase speed move them faster not wider.

Then there's the good 'ol frog kick.

Tried many different kinds of fins, splits and paddles, and finally settled for the trusty ole jet fins, with springs installed. Foot pocket ripped due to my fins being 10 years old, and did not hesitate to grab a very same pair. I would say hold on to it... These fins are great.

I always considered the flutter and scissor to be the same kick ... what's the difference between them?

A scissor kick is a resting kick and your legs never cross. Right leg forward, left leg back, bring them both to the center with force and glide. When you need more propulsion, repeat. Of course, you can scissor with left leg forward and right leg back, but, like scissors, the blades come together, but never cross.

I got the Mares Avanti Quattro when I finished OW class, and have been diving them since. I'm 5'10" but for some reason ended up getting the small fins, since they seemed to fit fine on the booties I have. Anyways, they felt fine but I definitely noticed I had a bit of trouble keeping up with my buddy especially during surface swims. I just figured it was cause my legs were scrawnier than his.

Then one day I borrowed and used another friend's gear, which included XL jets. By coincidence, my buddy brought the wrong fins, so he used my Mares. I was shocked to find that I was outpacing him on the surface, and though we don't race underwater, I did feel I had more thrust at my disposal at depth as well.

This probably has a lot to do with the fact that my Mares are size small (the paddles are smaller in addition to the foot pocket), but that huge surface area on the Jets really sold me. I just got my own pair of Jets and can't wait to dive them (again).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom