Jet or not to Jet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently inherited a pair of Scuba Pro jet fins with spring straps and am wondering if they are as good as the more modern fins out there. They feel very heavy compared to my cheapy Tusas and are wider which may cause some interference problems during scissor kicking. I like to vary my kick depending upon what I am doing so some versatility capability would be nice. Do they float like my Tusas or if I lose one getting on the boat is it bye bye? Will the additional weight get me more tired quicker?
Any valid pros or cons out there especially in response to my above mentioned concerns would be appreciated.

I've tried lots of different fins. None of them can compare to Jets. I don't think spring straps are necessary, but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. Until you get used to them, you may have an issue with them hitting each other while using the flutter kick, but there's absolutely no issue with a scissor kick.

kidspot:
Jets are great Frog Kicking fins, but less great scissor kicking fins.

Jets are perfect for the scissor kick.

ZzzKing:
They work better if you are in good shape.

Everything about diving works better if you're in good shape.

TSandM:
If you primarily flutter kick, you may not like the Jets. They are a versatile fin and definitely make other kicks much easier, but at least I find that flutter kicking in them is hard work. Any time I revert to flutter, I very quickly go back to frog-kicking because it's more comfortable.

The flutter kick requires more work with any fin than the frog or scissor. Most divers use the flutter as their primary kick, but shouldn't. The flutter kick is an excellent kick for short bursts of speed or power. It's not a particularly good kick for traveling.

Scubakevdm:
I was, at one time anti-jet but open minded. I agreed to do a 30 day test of the jet fin and gradually, over the course of the test I leaned more and more towards the Jet fin. I posted periodically about it in this thread. I guess what I would reccomend id that if you give them a shot, give them a long enough one.

Reminds me of a story. Jenny wanted to try Jets, so I loaned her a pair. She loved them and bought a pair for herself. Marvel then wanted to try them, so I loaned them to her. She tried them for a couple months, then told me she did not like them and gave them back. After going back to her old fins, she told me she really missed the Jets. Now she's a believer in Jets.

I was, at one time anti-jet but open minded. I agreed to do a 30 day test of the jet fin and gradually, over the course of the test I leaned more and more towards the Jet fin. I posted periodically about it in this thread. I guess what I would reccomend id that if you give them a shot, give them a long enough one.

Same here. I had tried Jets years ago in the pool for a few minutes, decided they weren't for me, and ended up buying splits. Years later, here I am with Jets. If you decide you want something else, I would suggest holding on to them unless you really need the money.

...The flutter kick requires more work with any fin than the frog or scissor. Most divers use the flutter as their primary kick, but shouldn't. The flutter kick is an excellent kick for short bursts of speed or power. It's not a particularly good kick for traveling...

I always considered the flutter and scissor to be the same kick ... what's the difference between them?

I started with a pair of power plana graphites (real leg eaters, but a superb power fin in it's day). However I traded them to an instructor for a pair of XL Jet FIns and have never regretted it. Over the last 23 years I have often purchased new fins with the goal of replaing my "old" Jets, but the truth is that few fins do any one thing as well as a Jet Fin and nothing does everything as well as a Jet Fin.

That said, for dry suit use I just replaced my XXL Jet Fins with a pair of OMS Slipstream fins - they are a Jet Fin but a bit stiffer and in size XXL have a foot pocket nicely sized between the slighty too small XL Jet Fin and the big enough to store the rest of your dive gear in foot pocket of the XXL Jet Fin.

Spting straps are great - clean, less nag prone and less likely to ever break in the middle of your dive day.

Jets are miserable fins. They hurt your calf, you can't flutter kick worth a damn and with those spring straps they're so heavy that you can never get your feet up out of the silt. Tell you what, I'll dispose of them for you if you want ... just pay me ten bucks.

I'd move them out of your way for just $5....

Jet fins rock !

Funny how the first REAL fin to be sold,is still better than most of those on the market today. Even after all these decades.
I look at those huge, long aXX'd fins in the LDS today and wonder how the heck your going to last using them. I figure they are less rigid, compared to jets.

The Jet fins are necessary for some technical applications where the diver needs to frog kick for propulsion. There are many other fins that out perform the Jets (and the Jet clones like Rockets, turtles, Turbos, etc.)

Try the Jets in open water with the kick that you normally use. Then use a blade type (with splits or not) from Mares, DiveRite, Oceanic, Tusa etc. - it will take you only a couple of dives comparing the various styles to find which you favor. Then you can give those Jets away...

I tried split fins a few times. The kick required is a lot faster but requires a lot less leg stenght. Kinda like driving in a lower gear with more RPM for a given speed. But unlike a vehicle in low gear, accelleration was poor, particularly with doubles and stage bottles - long, soft fins just do not have the horsepower to get things moving quickly and backing up is nearly impossible.

I love my jets! Initially I was very skeptical of them because of all the colored, space age looking fins out there. Then some people on this board were praising the JETS and others hated them with a passion so I thought Id give hem a try.

I did 20 dives with them and WHOA what a difference! I never do frog kicks mind you and the propulsion I was getting in my flutter kicks was far greater than with lighter plastic compound fins. They would take you farther in less kick cycles but the force required per kick may be greater than with other lighter designs. If you are a strong swimmer than this is the fin to go because it lets you put leg strength in the kick!

I do realize that there is a crowd out there who doesn't like this fin. When I went to the dive store I asked specifically for this fin and the lady who sold them said to her assistant "BRICKS! HE WANTS THE BRICKS." Then she turned around and said "Why dont you buy a decent fin like the ones we have on display?" I realized that the fin is not all that popular in some circles. She did get me the fin but wanted to know if I did dry suit or if I was Navy seal because commercial and military divers are the ones who generally look for this.

From other peoples responses I realize that if you are a strong kicker then this is your best bet if not then this may cause leg fatigue.

Walter:
Reminds me of a story. Jenny wanted to try Jets, so I loaned her a pair. She loved them and bought a pair for herself. Marvel then wanted to try them, so I loaned them to her. She tried them for a couple months, then told me she did not like them and gave them back. After going back to her old fins, she told me she really missed the Jets. Now she's a believer in Jets.

True story. The entire time I was trying them I hated them but knowing that there's always an adjustment period, wanted to make sure that I gave them a fair shake. When I switched back to my Mares it only took one dive for me to realize just how much better the performed for me. If anyone does try them out, I suggest that you do commit to using them for about 10 dives or so. I remember Walter & our friend Gar switching fins on a dive in the Flower Gardens. Walter, of course, had his Jets, Gar had split fins. The each came back with about 500 psi less than they typically consumed on dives to that depth & duration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom