Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arioc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I guess this topic has been brought up multiple times but I just can't seem to find a good answer online. I currently own a pair of Hollis F2 which I picked up after I found my Mares Avanti 4 Power too long. In the summer I do a lot of cave diving which the F2's are great for but now when the winter season is coming up I need a pair of fins for strong currents.

I'm not really that sold to go back to something thats not a "jet fin" anymore but its quite hard to choose which one to go for. My obvious choice would be the SP jets but they are just so heavy, maybe too much so since I prefer to do most of my diving in the tropics with a 4mm vest only. I tried a pair last winter (size L) but I couldn't manage to get my size 10 SP delta boots to fit inside.

Another notable mention is the OMS Slipstream but it seems like people don't really like it when you need to do a lot of kicking.

What about the Hollis F1? Or does someone have any other fin suggestions?

Any help is appreciated!

Dive Rite XT.

Hollis F1's are great, so are the OMS Slipstreams. Both are much better than the F2's. I wear OMS when diving wet, F1's or Hog Tech2's when diving dry, the Hog's if I need them short for some reason.

I have used the SP Jet Fin, the Hollis F1 and the OMS Slipstream. The Hollis fin is very heavy and gave my legs a real workout. The Jet Fins fit well and provided a lot of power, but were also heavy. The Slipstreams are a clone of the Jet Fin, but are made out of a lighter but stiffer material. They will give your legs a workout until you get used to them. I found myself using the Slipstreams more and more. They give good power; I can tow a diver through a pretty good current. All of the fins should do well with alternate kiks.

Any specific reason?
Strong/stiff, comfortable, not heavy like jets, right size foot pocket for my feet. I do not need heavy fins, some do. F2s work fine for me in rec gear, XTs for sidemount or BM.

As the thread shows so far, there is a lot of variance is preference. A lot obviously depends on leg strength, trim, and swimming style. I use the Hollis F1 and love them. I dive them for everything from wet tec dives with doubles to single-tank tropical dives. I can scull along effortlessly with them, or generate power when swimming a big set of doubles. I dove the original style SP jet fins for years. I find the F1s to be similar, but slightly snappier.

Strong/stiff, comfortable, not heavy like jets, right size foot pocket for my feet. I do not need heavy fins, some do. F2s work fine for me in rec gear, XTs for sidemount or BM.

Agree. I'm a L size in Jets and the blade is very short. I wear a medium XT and find it superior in every way to a L size jet. F1s are a nice heavy fin for DS diving.

Back
Top Bottom