Jet Fins Vrs. Hollis F1.... Compare away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmustache

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newer (~100 dives) cold water diver...still diving wet but hope for a drysuit someday. For some reason I've been diving with splits and I think I might go mad if this lasts much longer- So I am open to other fin suggestions as well which are not the jets or the F1s. If you don't mind giving a run-down of why you love one or the other...or what was hard to get used to.... I'm all ears :)

Thanks!!

P.S. Also, If anyone has the smaller size of either that they may want to sell used send me a pm

I wear jets wet and F1s dry mainly because of the weight. Both perform well, but I think I get a little more out of the F1s. I wear the splits every once and a while to prove that I can dive them and still live.

Jets are a proven platform for drysuit divers, but if you find that they are too heavy and trim you feet down, there are plenty of clones that are lighter.
I haven't dove F1s, but have heard nothing negative about them.
I use HOG classic tech fins, which are basically Jets, but they are a lot cheaper and come stock with springstraps.....I think they are around $80 through divers-supply.

I have used Jets since 1968. Unfortunately I have crazy-wide feet and a high arch so use the F1s on a drysuit because of the large foot pocket. Even then, they are a size larger than my jets used with wetsuits. I also use long fins for freediving.

Intellectually, I know there isn’t all that much difference between any of them. I was using an Aqualung fin for pool workouts and warm water diving because the short “heel” of the Jets was irritating my foot with thin boots. I tried my overly-large F1 and they just didn’t feel right. I recently went to the trouble to find harder sole 3mm boots and went back to the Jets. I pondered buying a smaller pair of F1s, but settled back into my old friends. I have no idea if this is of any value but I can’t really explain it to myself.

I have used F-1s and I wasn't a massive fan of them. The smallest size was slightly too big, and the fin blades were too long for someone my size. I haven't had a chance to try jets as I couldn't find some in a large size to try. I did end up with XL sized turtles, which have the same size foot pockets as the large jets. They are brilliant.

Scubapro Jet Sport!!! They provide great thrust, great for all types of kicking styles, comfortable and hugely underrated. If I had to choose only one pair of fins for all purposes, these will be my choice.

Test dive them, you will not regret going down this path.

Where in NorCal are you? I have a pair of XL Jets that I use for all my wet and dry diving. (Might have a drysuit that fits you too, as I have way too many, but you would need to let me know your size.) They are both good fins, and if I was buying today it is all about color! Yellow is ideal for diving the North Coast as vis is typically crappy. I convinced my friend to buy yellow tipped Hollis fins and he whined the entire time right up until going out and someone says, "All I could see was your fins" and he was super happy with his purchase. Jets just happen to come in a solid bright yellow too.

I was the original consumer tester for the F-1's and F-1 yellow tips. I still have and dive the prototypes I was sent to evaluate. The originals I took to Bonaire in Jan of 2008 and the following month had them under the ice in Indiana. I honestly have never used jets. Tried them but can't say I used them. The F-1's are more comfortable though for me. And they do come standard with springs that have three position adjustments. I do not think the jets do unless they changed something. This year I also added the HOG Tech 2 fin and use it in OW and the pool. Shorter than the F-1's and not as much thrust for my kick in OW but for the pool and overheads they win hands down because of the length and responsiveness. It is very likely that they will be my main fin for local diving and travel unless I am going somewhere with higher currents. I want the thrust of the F-1's for that since I don't have to alter my kick style if I switch to them over the HOG's.

I have Cressi Frogs, Turtles, Jets, and F-1s. They all do the job. I use the F-1s mostly now.

It's too bad you are looking for the smaller sizes, because I would be happy to get you into any of the first three. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom