Jet Fins Vrs. Hollis F1.... Compare away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Jets:

- Stiffer = more thrust but harder to kick.
- Heavier
- Narrow foot pocket = I cant fit my drysuit boot in them and my wetsuit boot would not fit in them either. The only boot that would fit is a Scubapro.
-Straps are horrible

F-1:

Floppier = slightly less thrust
More comfortable with a wide foot pocket.
Easy to put on and off.
Really nice spring straps.

For wetsuit diving I prefer Jets. For drysuit diving I prefer F1s. Hope this helps.

Well Jets:

- Narrow foot pocket = I cant fit my drysuit boot in them and my wetsuit boot would not fit in them either. The only boot that would fit is a Scubapro.

My one knock about Jets is that the foot profile is a rectangle, where the top of my foot is rounded. Even wearing Scubapro boots, I find them a PITA to remove at the end of a dive.

Where in NorCal are you? I have a pair of XL Jets that I use for all my wet and dry diving. (Might have a drysuit that fits you too, as I have way too many, but you would need to let me know your size.) They are both good fins, and if I was buying today it is all about color! Yellow is ideal for diving the North Coast as vis is typically crappy.

I live in Humboldt but dive Mendo/Ft Bragg mostly. Thanks for your response, I totally agree with the yellow addition...I once also thought the colors were tacky but now I know better after many a vis-less dive. I am pretty little, 5'5'' 140 female so I doubt you have a suit that would fit me (If you do though that would be great!!) but I have a handful of male friends who might be interested. Where do you dive? I'm going to be driving up the coast in a few weeks and wanted to check out some new spots possibly...I would love to get a recommendation.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2014 at 03:08 PM ----------

I was the original consumer tester for the F-1's and F-1 yellow tips....This year I also added the HOG Tech 2 fin and use it in OW and the pool. Shorter than the F-1's and not as much thrust for my kick in OW but for the pool and overheads they win hands down because of the length and responsiveness. It is very likely that they will be my main fin for local diving and travel unless I am going somewhere with higher currents. I want the thrust of the F-1's for that since I don't have to alter my kick style if I switch to them over the HOG's.

Thanks so much Jim, I really appreciate your comments! I read you full review on the F-1s and it was very helpful. Now I'm going to look into the HOGs as well. I was lucky enough to dive in BC this year and the currents there really can rip- I am hoping to keep heading North in my diving endeavors but its hard to say where I'll end up.

I am pretty little, 5'5'' 140 female so I doubt you have a suit that would fit me (If you do though that would be great!!)
Actually I probably do! And a really nice one to boot.

Where do you dive? I'm going to be driving up the coast in a few weeks and wanted to check out some new spots possibly...I would love to get a recommendation.
Mostly the Sonoma or Mendo coasts, but we go to Monterey sometimes too. Mendocino area is one of my favorite spots. Vis is often good and there are lots of dive sites.

Try diving with the various models if you get the chance. My friend is using F-1s and I'm using Jets, we're both very happy with our preferences.

Back
Top Bottom