Jet Fins shopping guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I started looking on EBay this week for a pair of Jet Fins after diving with my Girlfriend last weekend. She had a pair and was flying underwater. At a couple of points I was having trouble keeping up with her using my split fins.

Anyway, are there any difference I should be looking for in the Jet Fins? I noticed that some have a lighting bolt on the top. Is that some indecation of quality?

Thanks
Ty

Originally posted by tchil01
I started looking on EBay this week for a pair of Jet Fins
Hi Ty... these are the only ones to get... and yes they have a lightening bolt... don't get the USD Rocket Fins...

However depending on your foot size and if you are using wet boots or a drysuit boot or rock boots a Jet Fin may or may not fit you.

I have a size 10 (US) and used x-large Jets for years with wet boots and then drysuit boots until I went with rock boots this spring... now I use Turtle fins which are just as good as SP Jets but have a very large foot pocket. Shane wears size 14 rockboots and he uses the Turtles too.

Tip: if x-large Jets will work... check out the local pawn shops... I have scored several times around here for $30~$35...

First my disclaimer...Uncle Pug, this is not meant to be directed at you specifically. I understand and respect that you are an experienced diver and have been a member of this board for a long time. I also want to say I am really not trying to start a flame war...this is my opinion and something about the general atmosphere of the board that has been bothering me.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
... these are the only ones to get...

I know from reading hundreds of posts by you that you believe the above statement to be true, but some people have knee/ankle/foot injuries (such as myself) that demand split fins or at least fins with a lower resistance in the water. You can say all you want about finning technique, but the most important thing to remember is "different strokes for different folks." Some people have different physical requirements...and some people are just into plain ol' low-stress recreational diving and don't care to learn to do a bunch of different kicks when a scissor kick has worked just fine for them.

I know the original post was regarding jet fins specifically, but I've seen this type of absolute statement from several members of this board, and it's a little disheartening to see so many people, in effect, saying, "my way is the only way."

I've learned a bunch from reading posts here, but for me, as soon as I tried a pair of Twin Jets, I knew I would never go back. I have a tear in the meniscus (sp?) of my knee which is very painful any time much stress is put on the end of my leg. The twin jets solved that problem by lowering the amount of effort required to kick.

Originally posted by AaronBBrown
the original post was regarding jet fins specifically
And so my comment was specifically directed to answering that.

Sorry to hear about your torn meniscus.

I have had a similar problem with the addition of floating chunks of cartilage that occasionally find their way into the wrong position and want to block knee movement. I suppose surgical repair is the best solution but the frog kick has been a wonderful work around.... for me.

Originally posted by AaronBBrown
but some people have knee/ankle/foot injuries (such as myself) that demand split fins or at least fins with a lower resistance in the water. amount of effort required to kick.

The referance was to Jet Fins only and how to avoid a copy. As for fin recommendation, a stiffer more powerful fin may not be the right one for all, but the fact that one is more powerful fin than another, that's a fact.

Hmmmmm... this is a bit of a topic tangent but....

I'm currently using Jetfins w/my wetsuit but, Pug says something in his post that made me think... Will a Jetfin (even XL) not fit a DUI rockboot? I'm soon to buy a drysuit and wanted to get the rockboots (size 9 foot) but if I cant wear Jetfins... it gives me some concern.

What the biggest rockboot you can have and still be able to stuff it into XL Jetfins?

Originally posted by guerosd
What the biggest rockboot you can have and still be able to stuff it into XL Jetfins?
My foot is a 9.5 W and I needed the size 10 rockboot... it is oversized to account for socks plus drysuit foot.

The size 10 rockboot would not work with my XL Jetfins. Thankfully I already had some Turtles ready to go.

I am with the Unk on this one!! Just get some trutles because you will fight trying to get your foot in the jet fin with a rock boot on.

Been there and done that:) Now you can use your jet fins for your wet suit rig:wink:

Good luck

Len

I have seen some Scubapro jet fins both with and without the lighting bolt. The ones with the lighting bolt seem to sell for more. Is there any difference?

Ty

BTW, no rockboots yet. I have a size 10.5, so with the socks I am probably an 11. So I think from what everyone said, an XL should work. I do mostly boat dives so Rock Boots are not in my near future.

Aaron,

I understand that different people have different needs. But when you or anybody ask for opinions from individuals that is exactly what you are going to get. Individual opinions based on their experiences. That is something we are all gonna have to live with.

Unless you want replies along this line..............

"Tell me what you want to hear and I will give you an opinion based on that."

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom