Jet fins are good and here's the proof!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya,

I was really kidda skeptical of the jets even though I got them without ever trying one out but for those of you who think that the jets can't compete with other better performing fins out there here's proof they rock!

Jet Fins, Turtles, and Apollo XTs (plus comments ...)
by Lepomis:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=534

Here's a more complete report of various fins:

FINS: A Series of Independent, Comparative Tests
by Jim Grier, Dept. of Biological Sciences, North Dakota State Univ., Fargo, ND, USA

http://www.ndsu.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

I know that Larry at Scubatoys keeps saying that the most effecient fins are the regular Apollo bios and not the XT and there's the proof.

Now if only the author would be doing a test of Force fins I'll be in hog heaven!

Thank the author, I think he did a great job!

SangP

Doesn’t prove anything. The best test is to try them out for yourself. User preference/perception does matter—why use a pair of fins that you’ve tried and don’t like (or are uncomfortable with) just because everyone else liked them (or an “independent test” proved that they were more efficient)?

I use Jetfins most of the time but if I plan to do an open water dive (i.e. blue water, looking for mantas) with lots of surface swim involved at the end, I’ll switch to my Apollo Bio-fins Pro. IMHO the Jets and Bio-fins are great fins, but I’m sure there are many out there who swear by Force fins, Mares Avanti Quattros etc., as well as “tests” that have shown those fins to be more efficient or superior to others.

Hi Vie,

I agree that some fins work better for others but this research does give us a better idea of which fins are generally better and for those who are new to this sport it is certainly better than not knowing any thing and getting suckered into the latest brightest looking fins at the local dive shop.

I do however agree with you in that the Apollos are more suitable for open water chases. Also those who find certain better suited them better are completely right as the fins suits their finning styles.

Just more info for those undecided. Even the author said that he was initially skeptical of Jets because of previous experience but he kept an open mind and found some surprises.

Cheers,

SangP

Go read "Faulty Fin Claims" in the January 2004 issue of "Undercurrents." The university study basically suggests you are believing the hype when it comes to splits, force, etc. fins.

Here is a quote from their conclusion.

"The research also made it clear that venturis, vents, troughs, and splits did not improve the performance of the tested fins."

The thing that strike me about these test is the lack of test information. I see "we tested x fin" uhhh ok what was the test? A true scientific test has to be repeatable by others. I don't consider someone in a pool swimming with a speedometer much of a test, maybe several dozen divers who can't see what they are wearing done over several weeks might be ok but the test is still X "feels" better than Y. It's way to subjective and can vary greatly due to loads of factors, fin A was tested first thing in the morning and fin Z was tested after a buffet lunch.....bet A did better. I wish someone would do a real test with a mechanical setup of some kind that does not get tired, can't read what kinds of fins it's wearing and has calibrated strain gauges for the results..... and after that, so a streamlining test on a bunch of BCs, another test I would love to read..

It all comes down to personal preference IMO. I own a pair of Twin Jets (foisted on me before I knew about anything) and a pair of Jets with spring straps. Needless to say, my TJs are sitting in a corner of my trunk collecting dust.

Jets have been around for what 40-50 years? They must be doing something right for enough people. :D

herman:
The thing that strike me about these test is the lack of test information. I see "we tested x fin" uhhh ok what was the test? A true scientific test has to be repeatable by others. I don't consider someone in a pool swimming with a speedometer much of a test, maybe several dozen divers who can't see what they are wearing done over several weeks might be ok but the test is still X "feels" better than Y. It's way to subjective and can vary greatly due to loads of factors, fin A was tested first thing in the morning and fin Z was tested after a buffet lunch.....bet A did better. I wish someone would do a real test with a mechanical setup of some kind that does not get tired, can't read what kinds of fins it's wearing and has calibrated strain gauges for the results..... and after that, so a streamlining test on a bunch of BCs, another test I would love to read..

Exactly, those tests are too subjective to be of any real use. While I admit that I can swim a heckuva lot faster in my Twin Jets, I don't like the way they "feel" (as opposed to my Jets) and I almost always get leg cramps when I use them.

I would the best fins (or any type of gear) are the ones that you feel most comfortable in and you have the best performance with. I agree, most of the time when I buy something I do a lot of research and read reviews but bottom line… my opinion will prevail over tests.

:eyebrow:
I grew up when there was only hard fins and jet fins those with port, free diving new to SCUBA. With todays plastic, silicon or whatever is used there are numerous fins on the market that make it more dificult to decide what to use.

The only thing you can do it try it and if you like it and works it is for you. Jet fins where the begining but to many choices to say they are the answer.

jet fins work, just ask the million and a half tech divers that use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom