Jet Fins and the feet up position. Trim problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I try to bend my knees and do the whole feet up position that all the cool bp/w divers in the pictures do my body rotates into a head up position. Am I correct in assuming that my trim is off and I am too feet heavy? I assume that this happens because I stop moving my fins in order to keep in a horizontal position.

~Jess

JessH:
When I try to bend my knees and do the whole feet up position that all the cool bp/w divers in the pictures do my body rotates into a head up position. Am I correct in assuming that my trim is off and I am too feet heavy? I assume that this happens because I stop moving my fins in order to keep in a horizontal position. ~Jess

JessH: There are many kicks, the "cool" frog kick is just one. A small flutter kick, a wide slow scissors kick, a dolphin kick, etc. all have their place. Of course working on your overall trim is a great idea. Distribution of weight, choice of tank, and lots of open water practice will keep you in trim.

What happens if you lie flat in the water. Things should get worse.

Yes, you are too feet heavy. Knees bent 90 degrees, feet up and still, you should not move.

mdb:
JessH: There are many kicks, the "cool" frog kick is just one. A small flutter kick, a wide slow scissors kick, a dolphin kick, etc. all have their place. Of course working on your overall trim is a great idea. Distribution of weight, choice of tank, and lots of open water practice will keep you in trim.

Don't forget the helicopter and the back kick. Both of which not only have their place but are also incredibly useful. :)

JessH:
When I try to bend my knees and do the whole feet up position that all the cool bp/w divers in the pictures do my body rotates into a head up position. ~Jess

You need an exorcist right away.

(I know you meant "pivots.")

try slideing your tank up the straps a inch or two,i had the same prob. it straightened me out,heavy ol jetfins.

probably need to move some weight "north" on your rig, however this can also happen when you are unconsciously finning with your fin tips pointing straight up -

When I first started working on trim I moved about 6# up... over time I have moved all of it back to my belt, my problem was that my fin tips were pointed up instead of flat (parallel to the surface of the water) which just pushed my "south" end down, and "north" end up.

But I'd try what others have suggested first, moving the tank up a bit, moving some weight off your weight belt to the cambands or a channel weight etc..

Aloha, Tim

P.S. it's really tough to tell if your fins are pointing up without video or an observant buddy.

I just wanted to make sure that was indead a sign of me being too feet heavy so that I won't be working in the wrong direction. I just got to where I feel like I am staying relatively trim but when I pull my feet up I still pivot back to vertical so I guess I still have some work to do.

Unfortunately I don't really have any weight to move up. I use a 2# aluminum bp and 2# STA and no weight belt with an aluminum 80 or 63. I think I could actually stand to lose a little weight which might help matters a little, I think I am going to get an STA that is #1 lighter and/or switch to delrin cam bands.

My tank valve is already rather high, I will try moving it even higher and see if that helps matters. Not sure if I can move the 63s any higher because they have tank boots on them. I only use them in the pool when I am helping with a class so it is not that big of a deal, but would still like to get it worked out if possible as that is when I have the most time to float around and work on my kicks and stuff. Managed to get the backwards kick working last time. Wasn't at all graceful but I was definitely moving backwards.

As a last resort I guess I could try one of the jet fin copies that isn't as negative. I just got the jets and didn't really have this all sorted out before that either so I don't think that is the solution. I am sure a lot of it is in my head as well, will probably take some time to get comfortable with all of my new toys.

~Jess

Back
Top Bottom