Jet Fins and Ankle Weights????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My LDS told me to stay away from scubapro's jet fins because they are negative. He told me any people have had him order 1 pound ankle weights to keep their feet from going backwards on them. Is there any truth to this? He seemed like a nice guy but ya never know.

He told me Apollo fins are the best fins on the market. I belive he sold the apollo bio split fin. Does Apollo make a good fin? BTW, he wanted $199 for the fins does that seem high?

ScubaPro Jets are the ONLY way to go, especially if you are pursuing a more technical direction in the future. The amount of fin control is unmatched by any other fin on the market. Compare them with the other options and pick what is most comforable for you. Ankle weights is very bad form......don't do it.

Yes, Jet Fins are negatively buoyant.

Now, how does a 1 pound ankle weight keep your foot from "going backwards" on you?

I don't think I understand, fully, what you're describing here.

the K

I used ankle weights with my Jets when I first started diving dry and found they helped me but I soon found I didn't really need them. Most fall into the "don't use the ankle weights anymore" catagory. You won't get a fine for using ankle weights from the scuba police. :05:

It is possible that if this guy sells Apollo and not SP or if he has Apollo on hand he will push you in the Apollo direction. That's pretty normal. I think the real answer on what fin works best is usually what you use FIRST or what you get used to using. Both fins are great. Try both and then decide if that's an option. He may also really believe that those fins are better than any other and he may be right, for himself.

I personally use and prefer the Jet over my old Split Jets. I really didn't like the Splits (of any type) but many divers (who are better and more experienced divers than me) swear by the Splits. YOU will have to be the one to decide. Nobody and no amount of opinions and "research" can really answer the question for YOU, I believe.

The Splits! Sounds like a poker hand! LOL. Good luck! BTW, yes, $199 seems high to me assuming they are just regular Bio Splits and not the ones that come with spring straps or the pro version etc...

There's lots of good fins on the market. There is no such thing as "best" fin (despite all the people here that will tell you to buy Jets. :wink: ) Different people have different preferences and needs. The Apollos are known to be good fins but they may or may not be right for you. As far as split fins, some people love them and some people hate them, I suggest not buying a pair until you've tried them and some others. They are also expensive fins and Jets are relatively cheap, I wonder if he isn't just trying to make the biggest sale possible. (Well, I don't really wonder, pretty sure that is the case.)

If you haven't yet, I suggest reading lots in this Fins forum you've posted in and get an idea of what people like and dislike about different fins so you have ideas what to look for. If at all possible try different fins in a pool or see if you can borrow from friends.

The statement your LDS made makes no sense to me. Some people like Jets partly because they are negative and that works for them. Order 1 pound ankle weights because the fins are negative? To keep their feet from going backwards? huh?

It would help to fill out your profile so people have a better idea of your experience, where you're diving, etc. It can help people make better suggestions.

Your LDS is wrong. Jets are, IMHO, the best fins ever made. If one needs ankle weights (something I don't believe is true for anyone) using more negative fins would lessen that need, not increase it. Anyone giving me such advice is not someone I'd trust.

Robbcayman,
If I may offer up this one short anecdote with respect to "the best"?

There is a diving instructor whom I know personally. He recently left one LDS to go to work of another.

Well when he worked for LDS "X", the most expensive fin from manufacturer "A" was the "best" fin made.

Shortly after he went to work for LDS "Y" the most expensive fin from manufacturer "B" suddenly became the "best" fin made.

Perceptions based upon paycheck signatures.

the K

robbcayman:
My LDS told me to stay away from scubapro's jet fins because they are negative. He told me any people have had him order 1 pound ankle weights to keep their feet from going backwards on them.

Praise be, I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

People use ankle weights to offset positive bouyancy in some fins, but I've never heard of the notion that adding wt to your ankles would 'offset' a fin that's neg!

Something tells me the profit margins on the other fins are considerably higher. Whatever the reason, any claim like that immediately sets off my BS detector.

Another Jetfin fan here :) I agree with the others, there are lots of different fins on the market because there are a lot of different physiologies out there. There is probably a "perfect" fin out there for you but it may or may not be the same as mine or anyone else's. Getting the chance to try different fins is the best way to find which one is your perfect fin. Swapping fins with a dive buddy or having someone you know bring an extra pair (most of us have more than one type of fin laying around) to a dive site for you to try is a great way to try before you buy.

I like my Jets because they have a short blade. Unfortunately I can't wear them with my drysuit because the foot pocket is too small to fit over my boot. The Jets with pockets large enough to accomodate my boot have blades that are too long for my preference. Right now I'm diving dry in a pair of fins that I hate (Thruster's) but paid $150 for so I'm getting my use out of them. I wear ankle weights with the Thruster's but don't think I would need them with Jets since they are negatively buoyant. I too am confused about your LDS statement about the ankle weights.

Another argument I have heard is the one between Rocket and Jet fins aka "which is better". I have a mismatched pair (1 rocket, 1 jet--don't ask) that I dive with regularly and I can't tell the difference between the two. They look alike with the exception of the logo on the front.

Just because it's the "best on the market" doesn't mean it's the best for you. I currently dive with a mask I got off the 75% clearance rack at Meijer (spent $6) and I like it better than the expensive masks I have owned. It isn't the best on the market (by far) but it is the best for me :biggrin:

Good luck with your search!
Ber :lilbunny:

That was one of the funniest statements I've heard in a while. The guy or gal who said that has no idea how bouyancy and the laws of gravity works. The laws of physics would say that you would only put weights on your ankles if your ankles were more bouyant than the rest of you. I'll bet that no one has that physiology. Maybe someone with Elephantitus. And, they aren't diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom