Jet Fins A short US history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are in the vintage forum. You are expressing an opinion, true enough, which is not based on any comparative experience, just an old ad copy. Unlike an opinion that is not based on actual experience, I have used the Slipstreams and prefer Jets to them but the lower travel weight of the Slipstreams is nice feature. I prefer Mares Quattros to Slipstreams BTW, in my opinion, after having used both, they are a much better fin than the Slipstream.

N

I've never actually ridden on the back of a donkey to work either, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to use my car. :wink:

Sorry, for having an opinion!

To the OP, I found your post interesting, thankyou.

I've never actually ridden on the back of a donkey to work either, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to use my car. :wink:

Sorry, for having an opinion!

To the OP, I found your post interesting, thankyou.

Everybody's entitled to an opinion, but in any argument there is always a way of defending one's beliefs while respecting others' right to think differently.

Never mind, I found them.

udtnew.jpg

There's no way Id give up my OMS Slippys for those!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I advise you that you are in a vintage thread - most are very knowledgeable and certainly very experienced divers.

You are a typical example of a modern late model tube sucking bubble blower who thinks he knows it all but knows nothing..Especially of the history of this great sport, which I have in some small way attempted for interested posters.

Now that you have expressed your opinion which hopefully most have ignored; please exit stage left and return when you have considerably more experince and something concrete to contribute.

And I mean every damn word of what I wrote..

SDM

burna:
I've never actually ridden on the back of a donkey to work either, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to use my car.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I'll defend your right to express it, but until you take a ride or two on that donkey's back, it's uninformed. I have ridden on that donkey's back as well as dived with Duck Feet. I wouldn't ride a donkey to work either, but I wouldn't drive a car on narrow mountain trails.

Duck Feet are right up there with Jet Fins when it comes to performance. I also assumed they would be pretty crappy until I actually tried them. Unlike you, I was willing to try them. As a result I discovered a great pair of fins.

Last edited:
"a modern late model tube sucking bubble blower "

SPICY

I laughed so hard, I just about peed myself. Good thing I wasn't wearing my wetsuit.

I did like the orig. info, and hadn't seen it pop up over at VDH. Hope it shows back up somewhere.

Thanks for the complement. It is my original phrase and posted straight from the heart.

It will posted soon along with the Duck Foot Posting...

Nashville's north shore? I attended Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon...So many years ago.

sdm

As much as I like Jets, I do enjoy using the UDTs for warmer water diving where I can wear a thin fin sock. The UDTs just feel very connected and instant in their power transfer. Which of course is because they are stiffer and the foot pocket design does not place the fin stuck out on the end of the foot as do Jets.

You are a typical example of a modern late model tube sucking bubble blower who thinks he knows it all but knows nothing..Especially of the history of this great sport, which I have in some small way attempted for interested posters.
SDM

Now, uh, this is funny, I almost needed a new computer, I probably should not encourage the Master. There are three forums on this particular board that require more than feelings to justify an opinion, these forums will spank a person for offering opinions on a subject for which they have no experience backing the opinion up:

1) DIR/Tech
2) Solo
3) Vintage

A classic Voit Wide View and UDTs, now that is a sporty combination.

77882725_o.jpg

N

Last edited:
...Nashville's north shore? I attended Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon...So many years ago.

sdm

Hendersonville.

Green and hard to see down there, but water is water, and people do drop some pretty interesting things off their boats.

...plus, I can walk out the back door and there it is, AND, because Old Hickory Lake is actually the Cumberland River and is part of the Great Circle Waterway System, if I were to just paddle my old rowboat enough, I could get either down to the Keys or up to the Great Lakes. Always really liked the idea of that.

Last edited:
I knew Gus socially --Never once dove with him...Last time I saw him was in Napa at his winery..Yes he loved his wine -- and women!

You were at Healthways with Bob Grey, Sonia Winset (s) maybe Bill Mc Donald??

About that time I recall that Scuba Master was formed by Dick Klien's Cousin Don Breslow. I was a consulant to Scuba Master as long as they were in business..They paid me $100.00 a month retainer for about 2 -3 years..At the end I had so much Scubamaster equpment I could have opened a dive shop.
sdm

Sam you have the cast of characters down. Jack Chapell joined HW as the Director of Marketing. Don Breslow was fired and Bob Silverstein, who owned Eldon Industries, took over as CEO. I was living in Redondo Beach and diving w/the folks @ Dive N'Surf. It was an interesting time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I advise you that you are in a vintage thread - most are very knowledgeable and certainly very experienced divers.

Now that you have expressed your opinion which hopefully most have ignored; please exit stage left and return when you have considerably more experince and something concrete to contribute.

And I mean every damn word of what I wrote..

SDM

Sam,

It is obvious that my posts have been mis-interpreted, it certainly was not my intention to come in here and de-value equipment of days gone by, but a tirade like yours above is both unnecessary and unwarranted.

I found this thread through the "New Posts" link, I didn't notice it was in the Vintage section and am not sure why that matters??

I may not have been diving in the 60s (like one of my former dive buddies) or have thousands of dives, but I am very much interested in the history of this sport. I would like to collect and preserve older equipment, not necessarily to dive but to try a prevent it becoming lost.

None of what I wrote was supposed to cause offence, (unlike your post quoted above), and to be honest, I struggle to see how it has, but far be it for me to say what someone does or does not find offensive and so if anyone has been upset by my comments then I apologise as it is not what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom